Luxury camp cookery workshop?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
While at the recent meet at Loch Achray with BCUK and SOTP members I had the occasion to make a big pan of chips on the campfire for my grandson.
48small.jpg

This raised a few eyebrows and that surprised me as I often cook 'normal' food while camping.

I was thinking therefore of doing a cooking workshop at the next meet in September. I could include making a decent curry from scratch, making crispy chips and making fresh bread and rolls in a primitive oven (stones and divvits).

When I was in the Army (catering corps) I regularly cooked for dozens on a campfire. It would be good to pass on some of the secrets of luxury feld cooking.

Anyone interested?

Eric

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Eric_Methven said:
While at the recent meet at Loch Achray with BCUK and SOTP members I had the occasion to make a big pan of chips on the campfire for my grandson.

This raised a few eyebrows and that surprised me as I often cook 'normal' food while camping.

I was thinking therefore of doing a cooking workshop at the next meet in September. I could include making a decent curry from scratch, making crispy chips and making fresh bread and rolls in a primitive oven (stones and divvits).

When I was in the Army (catering corps) I regularly cooked for dozens on a campfire. It would be good to pass on some of the secrets of luxury feld cooking.

Anyone interested?

Eric

It’s amazing what you can do with just a few staple foods. Things like onions, garlic, bisto browings, liquid butter (Ghee) olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, suet, flour, salt pepper :rolleyes: there is literally hundreds of things that they can be added to, either to enhance the flavours or to make a meal in their own right. What rabbit stew is not improved by some rich and fluffy dumpling, what wild salad could not be improved with a few drops of a balsamic vinaigrette. “Roughing it” is ok but I like to smooth it when it comes to campfire cooking

Trevody

May 30, 2005
North Lincolnshire
Would be very interested Eric, though this summer I'm unlikly to get to many meets (loads of building diy on the home this year) :(
Recently did a fare size hangi for the Lincolnshire meet, which seemed to impress, would love to be able to do more from fresh and foraged foods.

Trev :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great photo Eric, nice to see a young'un involved. I don't do the bushcraft camping many of the guys here do, more overnighters or car camps, so I like to make the food as good as possible.

DSCF1235Small.jpg

Trying out a new stove, cooking paprika sausage stew, very nice it was too :)

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Well done Eric, I'm with you on camp cooking, why eat out of a packet when with a bit of imagination and forethought you can cook virtually anything ;)

Must admit, I have never done chips, did you shallow fry them ?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Personally, what stops me from doing that sort of cooking isn't lack of skill or interest - it's plain pack weight. Fair enough if you're turning up in a van, but on shanks' pony the idea of carrying a bag o' tatties, a big cast-iron dutch oven and enough oil to deep-fry is a definite non-starter! ;)

I'd be very interested to see your oven ideas though. :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Definately seems to be an area that varies wildly with personal preference. Some folk are shocked that others "rough it" while others are shocked at the amount of cooking kit some folk carry. Then there are allsorts of happy mediums.

Group meals at the meets are great. The grub at the north meet last year was delicious and I even enjoyed the venison gruel at Achray too. In a way it was interesting this time to not have a group meal as you could see everyone's differing approaches.

I can't justify the weight for solo camping, and tend to forego hot meals in the summer and travel light. I don't drink tea or coffee so often carry no cooking kit at all, just an assortment of cold meals and plenty of water. Even being able to carry more in the canoe hasn't changed that approach.
Each to their own.

Must admit Stuart_f's cooking had my mouth watering at the weekend. It's always nice watching an artist at work :).

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd be very interested in the bread oven, Eric.
It was quite something seeing the range of food you produced.
I've amused/annoyed my wife, cooking in the kitchen or on the back step using camping stoves to "see what we can do". I guess I should be more adventurous. ;)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Positive responses so far then.

To clarify, at the Achray meet (and others like it), where I'll be arriving in a vehicle, I come prepared for a base camp environment. That's just as bushcrafty as any other, it's just on a different scale and with different objectives. On these occasions my catering style is designed to feed large numbers of people with tasty nutritious food so that they can do other stuff without having to stop off from their own individual tasks.

I had a couple of discussions about end of the world scenarios - read my book to get the jist of the story line - and the subject turned to how a group of survivors/bushcrafters would manage if society as we know it went belly up. A central kitchen would be one obvious choice, as would a central laundry. Decent hygene and specific toilet areas would also be necessary. Now I'm not a doomsday advocate by any means, but I do like to keep the skills alive that might one day come in handy.

I agree that carrying in a dutch oven and a bottle of oil and a stone of tatties would be daft on a hike, and on these occasions I go for the freeze dried stuff and if I have to have tatties I use Smash with a wee bit of butter, some powdered milk and a pinch of nutmeg. I'm not daft. I like to carry light as well when I'm hoofing it.

On this occasion though, a central camp scenario seems appropriate and in this case we can justify the heavy gear. The bread making needs no special kit other than flour, yeast, a wee bit of salt and some water. The oven is made from stuff lying around. Clay is best if there is an abundance, but failing that, rocks built like an igloo with a wee hole in the top, and a door big enough for a cooked loaf to get out, and covered with sods of earth to insulate it will produce fresh bread.

We'll see where we go with this, but I'll have the gear in the van anyway so there's no harm in having a go.

Cameron is going to be dissapointed when we go for our fist solo overnighter when he finds out we'll be eating that box of compo I won at the archery. No chips! :lmao:

Eric

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Oops, sorry if I came across negative earlier talking lightweight nonsence. I should have emphasised the...
Grooveski said:
Group meals at the meets are great.
...with a bunch of smilies.
:) :35: :35: :beerchug: :35: :35: :)

The ramble after was just that - a ramble. I enjoy a hot meal as much as the next guy. Just too used to traveling myself or in very small groups :rolleyes: .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Meets are very different from going out alone or in a very small company, but that difference isn't a bad thing, it's actually very productive and a lot of fun :D
I like the idea of a really good cook-in at a Meet; they seem to manage well at Moots so why not at the smaller get togethers?
Cheers Eric for volunteering :You_Rock_

I'd like a shot with different oven styles.

Toddy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
OK then, if someone wants to bring along a haunch of venison we can do a ground oven as well. If it's possible to make it a four day event (Friday to Monday inclusive) we can do loads of different stuff each day.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE