Lunch ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Hmmm, I think I will have to experiment with the flask this weekend. Hot food would make a nice change.

I suppose it would be possible to cook something hot in the morning and keep it warm in a flask until lunchtime. I guess it makes things a bit messy though and hot water can be used for drinks too.

One thing I have found in the past is that fresh fruit really doesn't hold up too well in a rucksack - apples are about the only ones that stand any chance of survival. I have taken to carrying raw carrots instead - cheap, light and indestructible. OK, it isn't a Mars bar but it makes a nice change from dried food and stodge.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
In reply to Daved:

The squeezy cheese in metal tubes (like Primula) keeps OK. I think its supposed to be kept refrigerated, certainly after opening, but I reckon its good for a day or so in the rucksack after opening. Share it with your partner and you'll get through a tube in no time anyway. Open one tube at once!

In winter of course, when the temps are lower, the inside of your rucksac is probably as cold as a fridge anyway....

In reply to Fred Gordon:

Electrolyte drinks can be a bit funny, in that some people will get on with a particular brand and other people will find they hate the aftertaste it leaves, or it gives them stomach aches. I would advise that you try a brand under non-stressful conditions before you rely on it for days on end.

I like the Science in Sport (SiS) GO electrolyte mix, or High 5 do one which is also good. And there's always good old Gatorade! I also use double diluted SiS PSP22 for long events - it has more complex carbs so it provides energy rather than just electrolytes.

Finally on electrolyte/sports drinks, they can be expensive and so you should consider whether you actually need them for the level of activity you are undertaking. Plain water plus normal food is sufficient for many people's needs and the taste of sports drinks can become tedious after a while. Some people carry two bottles, one with water and one with sports drink, just to be able to change between the two.

Regards

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE