Luhkka style poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I couldn't justify Fjallraven's prices so I made this. The outer layer is cotton tent fabric from an old Vango tent that I bought on Ebay for under £25 including post, and the inside is boiled wool/light loden that came from a fabric remnants shop local to me.

P1000323.jpg

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I just weighed it - 930 grams. I cut it fairly short because I wanted it just as an over-the-top garment, but if you made it longer front to back it would make an effective extra blanket.

Last edited:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It started out orange so I threw it into some darker red dye. I wasn't particularly concerned about it being inconspicuous. I had another similar flysheet that has been dyed brown and that's very good indeed at disappearing in woodland. That one is being turned into a swag, I'm a ground dweller and although I don't expect to use it without other shelter it's nice to have something that's at least water resistant. That will be proofed with a standard cotton proofer.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
For reasons too numerous to mention I can't use the Singer at the moment, but when I get set up again I'll be doing one of these; it's a project I've had in mind for a long time and I can only hope I'll achieve the quality of work you have with this one - excellent stuff :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Nice poncho. A bit bright for my taste though.
Nice knife as well. I've been sharpening one very similar this evening...

Z

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I made the knife at the Bushcraft Show, with a lot of help from the smith.

It wasn't made with the intention of being subtle, but oranges and reds blend surprisingly well in many natural situations. The colour that really stands out in the woods is bright blue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE