Lowe Alpine sting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
50Ltr/10/10 for the pouches.

Great Pack... Used mine to carry a huge chunk of oak down a mile or so of hill once. It was comfy and strong enough to get the job done :) I think the size is just about ideal if you think about your kit.

The back, once set up correctly is really comfy. Negative, the zips on the side pouches are a but fiddly, but I can live with that.

Last edited:

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
Iv had mine for over three years now i originally bought mine from a bcuk member (scrogger) ,i can confirm that they are a fantastic pack, i traveled for a over a year with mine lugging it around asia and the middle east and it's in the same condition as when i bought it, the durability of this pack is outstanding given that it was chucked about by baggage handlers on no less then 20 flights and there isn't a single signs of damage, it also came with me trekking around the Himalayas strapped to a horse, at one point even a horse decided it looked comfortable and used it as a pillow lol, i got countless people commenting on how much they liked this pack while traveling and its always nice to see people as green as the sting itself with envy. Over the three years iv had this pack its been well used and loved you really have to nit pick to find fault with it, weight could be seen as an issue but to be honest because its such a comfortable pack you dont even know its there.

All in all for the price they are now you cant go wrong, i cant see me ever needing to buy another bag this size as it will probably out live me. its quite literally bomb proof!

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I purchased the pack off glofisher(Paul)and it arrived today. I'm impressed with the quality of the pack & it looks unused.

Paul has been a pleasure to deal with.

Rob

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I've taken my OD version wild camping in the New Forest on several occasions and it's easily coped with loads of kit: three season bag, pillow from home (takes up a lot of space but comfy), a Thermarest blow up mattress, DD tarp, clothing, cooking equipment, food, water and extra kit. Loads of space. You can throw it around and not have to worry about it getting damaged. Also, the entrance to the main compartment opens up nice and wide so it's easy to find individual items.

Last summer I spent a week on the Pennine Way and took the bag without the side pouches and simply used the compression straps to keep everything stable and close to my back. It was comfortable to hike long distances with and although I'm sure I could find a lighter weight bag with more air circulation I realise I'm going to get sweaty no matter what innovations some bags offer, and I don't have the storage at home (or loads of excess cash) to spend on two bags; the Sting affords me a strong all-rounder that I estimate will last at least a couple of decades.

For six months the bag lived in my bedroom and I enjoyed looking at it. I know that's sad but t's a good looking bag that does everything asked of it. I even modded it by cutting excess off the straps or removing them where not needed to save weight, sewing on a OD Union flag, and getting my own name stencilled and attached to the velcro strip for the full Vietnam effect. What a nerd, eh?

One thing I would have like would have been for the two little pockets on the side of the main compartment to have been deeper. Currently they are ideal for wedging your walking/bivvy poles into or for a Gransfors Small Forest Axe to sit in securely but I would have liked to keep my camera in one of the pockets and my mobile phone in the other (I sometimes like to listen to music on the trail). As it happens I simply found an old camera case and attached it to the hip belt strap and put the phone and camera in there.

Also I think there are more luxurious, thicker, wider shoulder straps available on more commercial style bags which might aid comfort, but I never find the bag uncomfortable apart from the usual discomfort attached to strapping a heavy bag to your back, so I'm nitpicking here.

Whatever the colour I would say the Sting is a great all-round rucksack, either on the trail or in the forest wild camping it won't let you down.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi All

ive just purcheased one of these packs on evilbay and it says it might need minor repairs (£30). can anyone recommend patch material and best way to go about any repairs needed?

Many Thanks
Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE