Lost post.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
Just spent about three hours writing and uploading pics, pressed the preveiw button and was asked to sign in again, which i did only to be told i had to press the back button and reload the previous page, i pressed the back button only to be told to do the same again, this happened 3 or 4 times, my post has dissapeared into the depths never to be seen again, most frustrating and just a bit annoying.
Why did it ask me to sign in again and where is my lost post.

JonB:confused:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's probably because you took so long that the session timed out. Best thing to do is to copy your text before attempting to post, at least it will be saved that way.

Dude!! Three hours!!! That must have been one ginormous post.

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
Took a long time to upload pics with photo bucket, and i am slow with the typing, whats time out,? can i adjust it or better still turn it off.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Took a long time to upload pics with photo bucket, and i am slow with the typing, whats time out,? can i adjust it or better still turn it off.

Might be down to your browser settings, nothing to do with this site. Depends on your browser.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Before I press post now I always highlight everything I've typed (including the pictures;)), copy it using edit or ctrl/c and then post. If it gets lost you just press paste and it all reappears :35: ready for you to press post again.
Guess who has been bitten before then?:yikes:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Before I press post now I always highlight everything I've typed (including the pictures;)), copy it using edit or ctrl/c and then post. If it gets lost you just press paste and it all reappears :35: ready for you to press post again.
Guess who has been bitten before then?:yikes:

Me too :lmao::lmao:

And with my threads, It's not nice when it happens:eek:

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
I am sorry lads but i am smiling here, so glad i am not the only one, old men and technology just dont go together, jonathanD if i can find out how i will look at the browser settings, and Kev Thanks i will be copying everything before i press that dam button again.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
For long posts I type and save it all in Word then copy & paste it across. At least with Word your autosave ought to recover most of the cotent if things go pear shaped

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...whats time out,? can i adjust it or better still turn it off.

Timeout is a sort of security feature. I say "sort of" because there really isn't much security in the average forum so you wouldn't want to use it to send credit card numbers for example, even by private message.

The reason most forum and similar sites have a timeout is that you can't rely on the Internet. For example you might be editing a post, and your computer might suddenly catch fire, or the guy in the road outside might go through your service cables with his digger. There's no way for the forum software to know what's happened, nor if it will ever hear from you again, and no way to know if you'll even be using the same computer if it does -- let alone whether your computer will have had a chance to store safely somewhere the most recent information that the site had sent to it.

So to avoid a whole slew of issues that can't really be solved, the forum software will pick a number of seconds, say 2000 or something like that. After you log in it counts the time between the pages that it sends to you (it sends a page every time you click on one of the links in a page and you see your screen redrawn). Obviously it has to maintain a counter for each person logged in, but that's child's play for a computer. If you don't click any links and so it doesn't send a page to you for that length of time it considers the login session to have expired. Anything temporary that you were working on is usually discarded. The next time you want to use your forum account, you will have to log in again. If it's three seconds or three months later, the server doesn't care.

Some sites let you decide how long the timeout is. I think the old version of Bushcraftuk.com did but I can't remember if I've seen anywhere in the new site that will let you change it -- I had a quick look, but I didn't spend a lot of time on it so I may just have missed it.

One way to avoid being timed out is to use the "preview post" button frequently while you're editing. That way the forum software will (er, should!) reset your counter each time you ask to see the page as it is so far. Unfortunately it's easy to forget to do it and then you'll be cursing. But you know that already.

Another way of avoiding the issue is to create a document 'offline' and only log in to send it. That means you won't spend hours on something without letting the forum software know you're still around. It's getting a little bit technical but I assure you that if you can write a post for this forum which contains images then you can create a document offline and send it.

Note that while you're typing the words into your post, no characters are being sent to the forum server, so it doesn't know you're still there. That's just the way HTTP works. Most of the time the browser on your computer is pretty much the only thing that's involved until you click on a link, which says to the browser "send some stuff to the server". If you send stuff to a different server, such as photobucket etc., the forum server will know nothing about it so it's no help with this problem.

That was a horribly oversimplified version of what's really going on but it's close enough to help you avoid the problem.

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
ged. Thankyou so much, oversimplified is what i need, i will try the preview button trick the next time i post, i like the idea of creating a post offline, but if i download a pic from photobucket into a program like word might that not be a security risk, ie downloading a bug with the pic.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
but if i download a pic from photobucket into a program like word might that not be a security risk, ie downloading a bug with the pic.

No need to download the picture at all.

All you need to do is insert the image codes at the right place and it'll show the picture when you copy and paste across.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...i like the idea of creating a post offline, but if i download a pic from photobucket into a program like word might that not be a security risk, ie downloading a bug with the pic.

You are right to be concerned about that. Mesquite is also correct that you can simply enter a hypertext link to the location of an image on a different server instead -- we'll have you writing Web pages before you know it:) . Unfortunately if you do it that way, when the people who run that other server decide to throw away all their old images, the image will disappear from the thread article on the forum. You'll see quite a few links which have been broken that way as you mooch around various sites. I prefer to put the images on my own server and then I know that they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If you get one of the free accounts that let you publish Web pages you could do the same thing. All you need to learn is how to put the images on your Website, and the art of writing a URI. It's a doddle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE