Looking for my dream watch....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have a suuntor core a fantastic watch so long as you don't actually have to read the dial. You would not expect this type of display on a £1.50 watch from china so I have no idea why suunto thought this was a desirable feature for mountaineers often working in variable lighting conditions. The white face version is much better but you cannot easily obtain this version. The altimeter is great and has been a life saver the compass is junk . Ps I actually love my suunto its very geeky shame it's such a crap display. Shame on suunto for not making a good watch a great watch. I also found that the LCD froze when I was in the arctic earlier this year but it does come back to life when warmed up. The display packs in at around -10.

Just bought a Gws G10 H3 pro diver as my EDC. Just fancied the tritium light up dial. As i have a thing for radioactive sources, Don't know if is any good as its in the post as I write this. Perhaps I should write a review of this given that ray mears is pushing a branded version of this watch for same money.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I splashed out on an expensive automatic watch about 5 years ago and wear it every single day... Love it and abuse it. It has really laughed at everything I throw at it and won't need batteries.

In fact, the only time I didn't wear it was when I had a holiday in South Africa. Nice things make you a bit of a target for bad people I think. I got a £10 Casio watch from Argos :p

Tritium markers in 20 years... if you spend about £200 on a watch, it's £10 a year and you just replace it in 20 with the next thing. This also gives you a nice spare watch, even if it doesn't glow in the dark any more.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
What did you get?

I've given up on watches. I have this tendency to fidget with the straps - and they break. So I have a bunch of watches with broken straps. Mind you they were not expensive Swiss automatic watches, but I suspect they would come to he same fate. I just look at my phone or the time now. Not very bushcrafty, but I'm an armchair bushcrafter anyhow :)

Flaxton

Jun 21, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the responses, I shall write to Traser who do watches with alarms and uni bezels - just not on the same watch. I have a couple of Nite watches and they are great, but I can oversleep whilst camping and I don't want to rely on a phone. I've tried a G-Shock aviator but it was unreadable - even in good light and the alarm beeps quietly for 10 seconds only.

I think the Suunto's are too unreliable, massive and probably (correct me if wrong) burn through batteries.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for all the responses, I shall write to Traser who do watches with alarms and uni bezels - just not on the same watch. I have a couple of Nite watches and they are great, but I can oversleep whilst camping and I don't want to rely on a phone. I've tried a G-Shock aviator but it was unreadable - even in good light and the alarm beeps quietly for 10 seconds only.

I think the Suunto's are too unreliable, massive and probably (correct me if wrong) burn through batteries.

Much thinner and smaller than the Pro-Trek (had both) and has been reliable. Burning batteries, yup but got to be expected with all the gadgets running 24/7.
However the batteries are about £3 and its takes only a coin and 5 minutes to fit a new one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE