Looking for info Force 10 MK5 std

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 28, 2017
Lancashire
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I'm interested in tents and tarp camping. However, this thread is to try and gain some background on a Force 10 MK5 tent I have just bought. I bought it from a local independent camping shop, and I know they had the stock for a long time, but I was trying to work out just how old the tent is.
It has a green rubbery groundsheet, the inner tent has a white vertical centre zip, and there are no force 10 emblems on the fly sheet. It is the orange cotton fly, and has vango written where you'd normally see the F10 label.
Can anybody help age the tent please? And would I need to take any water proofing steps due to it potentially being sat for a long time.
I'm hoping to have made a good purchase as I'm having to sell one of my favourite torches to recoup the outlay for this tent!

Thanks in advance

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
My second hand Mk 4, actually had the date printed on one of the labels. Yours with the green sheet (as mine) and 3 way zip (as mine), I'll guess as late 80s early 90's???? (as mine)

Mar 28, 2017
Lancashire
Thanks! Same features mine definately. And ive actually found a date on the instructions 1993 so falls in line with your dates.
The shop obviously had these for a long time!!
With it being unused am i best leaving the cotton flysheet to it's natural waterproofing abilities. There wouldnt be any reason it would deteriorate over potentially 25 years being packed away is there?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You need to pitch your cotton fly (before using in anger) somewhere like a garden, and soait from outside with a spray or hose to condition, or prime, the cotton. Do it when you know you'll be able to dry it completely before packing it away and then use as normal. This always was considered best practice with good cotton tentage and those are certainly good tents.

If you do need to proof it in the future I've always found Granger's Fabsil entirely satisfactory. You've bought a very good tent, go off and enjoy it! :)

Mar 28, 2017
Lancashire
Well...ive had it pitched in the garden and it got a soaking in the good ole british rain yesterday. Had all day today in the sunshine to dry off. The fly is now in the back room to Air out before packaging away. Must say i'm pleased with the tent. I love the orange glow inside but you do experience mild colour blindness when stepping outside! Anyway, it's ready and able for a weekend away with the kids soon. Probably hawkshead in the lake district. I hope the weather is awful!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
You need to pitch your cotton fly (before using in anger) somewhere like a garden, and soait from outside with a spray or hose to condition, or prime, the cotton. Do it when you know you'll be able to dry it completely before packing it away and then use as normal. This always was considered best practice with good cotton tentage and those are certainly good tents.

If you do need to proof it in the future I've always found Granger's Fabsil entirely satisfactory. You've bought a very good tent, go off and enjoy it! :)

Absolutely and exactly!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE