looking for ideas (sheath system)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
Hi there.

I have decided that I'd like to make a sheath for my CRK Mountaineer 1

100_2967.jpg

So what I'm thinking is having a large pouch that has a knife sheath behind it. I'd like to able to keep all my last ditch gear in it (back ups to back ups, basic stuff like minimalist survival.)

I'm not looking at making a sheath with a pouch on it, rather a pouch with a sheath behind it. The idea is that the pouch would sit lower on the belt, and that way my shirt would cover the handle of my knife and people would think I've just got a pouch on my belt.

A couple of options, use kydex and attach a maxpedition style pouch, or use leather and have something with a bit of charm.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Care to share?

Anyone have any ideas or tips that would help me create such a thing?

Cheers

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
Thats a nice one FGYT, is it yours? Which model?

Exploriment that is a very nice bit of work you've done there, looks like it would serve well. Lots of storage which is what I'm after. Thanks for the pics

Marcel, it was Martin's technical kydex that got me thinking. I'm toying with the idea of making a kydex sheath and putting on a MaxP pouch, but then I started thinking about similar but in leather. I could make a "possibles pouch" but at the rear have a thick piece of leather that also has a welt and another piece sewn on, with two belt loops coming off the back of the pouch, either side of where the knife sits.

I'll have to draw something up.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Sorry to go off-topic, but...

Exploriment, that is an awesome blogspot you have...ive just checked out all your sheaths, cases, escapepods and the like...some of your kit is incredible to say the least!!

Keep up the great work!! One day when I have the time I would love to try and make some very similar kit!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I do recall seeing something like what you describe in leather some time ago : a large flap-closing pouch about the size of a sporran and a frog-style fastening for a poignard behind where it joined the belt.I remember where I saw it now , it was in a renaissance manual of swordplay! Can't remember the title but was made to accommodate a left-hand dagger for rapier fencing. I remember thinking at the time that it looked handsome ; sure you can find a picture of one online and adapt it to your needs.
Cheers , Simon.

Holy hanna, that Axe sheath is gorgeous Red!

I keep seeing some of the leather work that people do around here and think I would love to have a crack at it. But I already have a ton of projects and pastimes on the go, with a whack of money tied up in them. Leather working will likely sit on the back burner for a while yet.

Thanks Paul for the kind words. I hope that by showing what I do that I inspire and encourage people to try stuff themselves. Making stuff from Cordura and such isn't nearly as hard as people assume it to be. It's a very low tech, low initial investment (well the way I do it certainly - getting into industrial machines means you'll spend some cheddar) and can be done anywhere. So much of what I do is done in little snatches of time. With the TV on the background, sitting in the passenger seat of a car going somewhere. Waiting for the laundry to finish drying, etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE