Looking for a decent Welly type boot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Evening all,

I'm looking for a decent wellington type boot, it can be rubber / neoprene / leather but must be fully waterproof, warm, easy to clean with a good grippy tread pattern and comfortable enough for a long dog walk.

Not looking to spend a fortune but want to move up a bit from my old steel toed Dunlops that are cold and make my feet hurt if i walk more than a mile !

thanks for your help :)

robbi

I recently picked up a pair of Muckboot Co. Tays. They are the warmest, most comfortable boots I've ever owned. I wore them at the stables a couple of weeks ago for the day in minus figures with just a regular pair of socks and they were great. Really comfy boots and great grip in the mudbath of the walk across the downs I took today.

Only one gripe, they are a real pain to get off!

Neil

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The soles on Grubbs Stalkers neoprene wellies are proper Vibram soles. I have been wearing a pair for four years continuous of building and smallholding. I wouldn't be without them. Same sort of thing as Muck boots with a better sole grip.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Same as my shoe size Robbi. I can wear with ordinary socks or thick ones. Because they grip the calf there is no "slopping" as you walk.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
cheers BR, gotta say the link above to the muckboots is looking very good at the moment, delivered for under 70 quid is very attractive at this time of year :)

Last edited:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
There is a section of my favourite dog walk that is a well trodden, often submerged, narrow muddy section and it is quite slippery, hellishly so when it's been raining

Would the Tays or Grubs Stalkers fair better?

I was thinking about going for Grubs Stalkers when I next upgrade. Although I've had my derwents for 3 years and can't see them needing upgrading for a few years yet

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have never been much of a welly person... but...

After being in the woods with friends last weekend, I was green with envy of those in wellies. My big Danners were dead comfy, warm and dry but they're just a bit of a pig to clean and needed gaiters.

So, welly questions:

Are neoprene ones a bit of a pain to get on and off? They look like they are.
How the hell do you stop your socks from falling down to your toes?
Given that I'll be in them only a few times a year, what's a good budget choice? I'm not after the rolls royce of wellies.

Cheers for any/all advice.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The Muck boot Tays are an extremely good combo - easy to slip on and off, but a good enough fit for proper walking. My socks never get pulled down in them. The sole is superb - quite stiff and well lugged like a walking boot. The lower outer section, being a form of plastic (I think) is very tough and does not crack or perish like all-over latex boots - something that happened to all my previous pairs of Le Chameaus and Hunters. Because the outer lower section is quite stiff, I find they also accept instep winter spikes very well, which make them unstoppable for icy shooting.

The only snags are that they get sweaty if you are walking hard, and eventually (five years steady wear) the neoprene inside around the heel will wear away. They still work and are waterproof, even then.

They are also cheap-ish compared to most well-known brand neoprene wellies (Le Chameau and Hunter etc).

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've got Tay sports. Great grip in non compacted mud- absolutely useless on compacted clay, shale and chalk. I've literally stood still and skied down slopes in them that my Dunlops stick to. Also the neoprene is easily ripped on undergrowth or hidden barbed wire from downed fences. This includes the rubber coated neoprene on the foot which seems quite thinly layered. On the plus side they are extremely warm and they are comfy too. I have big calfs on some welllies don't fit me whereas these are snug at the top and keep the weather out. I do think they're expensive for what they are though. I may try the Jack Pyke copies when they're done.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I made the mistake of buying the "bison" muck boot copy, usualy sold by fishing shops. They may be great for fishing but absolute rubbish for anything else. They have poor grip, & split where the foot bends very quickly. Warm & comfy to wear, but poor quality.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE