Look Ma no Strings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
I've just received a hoochie, but it didn't come with any para cord or guidelines. What lengths cordage would be best to equip the hooch with :?:

Cheers

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I seem to recall the one I used on my course had about 8 feet per corner, the ridgeline was about well about 18 feet

Dave

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Woodlore are selling packs of Hootchie guy lines for £10.00 which consist of 4 x 4m thin (2mm) and 1 x 7m thick (5mm) ridgeline in olive cord. Personally, I use 9m for the ridge line and have found the extra length useful, plus I just happened to have a piece that length.

ranger

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
ranger said:
Woodlore are selling packs of Hootchie guy lines for £10.00 which consist of 4 x 4m thin (2mm) and 1 x 7m thick (5mm) ridgeline in olive cord. Personally, I use 9m for the ridge line and have found the extra length useful, plus I just happened to have a piece that length.

ranger
Maybe it's me but 10 quid for 23 meters of cord, 16 meters of which is 2mm, seems awfully steep ... :shock:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
boaty said:
Talking of which, is it just me or does anyone else have a worrying reluctance to actually cut a piece of cordage? :?: I mean, once you've cut it, it's never gonna be that long again :roll:
I feel your pain ... I'm the same! What I did was I just bought some paracord specifically for the job and cut it for the job as soon as I got it.

Even then it was still tough to do ... :cry:

jakunen

Native
Oh, come on guys! The stuff is cheap enough whether you get it from Cotswold or your local shop.
Stop being a bunch of tight fists!
We spend hundreds on tents, rucksack and all the other gear, so what's a few pence for a bit of cord? :soapbox:

Seriously though, yeah, we all feel like that, we buy a nice 10m hank of cord and never want to do anything to it incase we need 10m (can't really think why I'd need 30ft of cord :?: but...). The best option is to do what I did. I bought a pack of three from Gary, one is kept nice and pristine (just in case I want to fly a kite :wink: ) and the other two I can cut up to my heart's content. :rolmao:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hah ! Yes there's always that reluctance to chew up a new piece of cord.

I do find 5 and 2 mil and interesting set of sizes though.

While decent 2mm is good for 70Kg and certainly strong enough, it's not very easy to handle and tangles easily. Similarly 5mm is strong enough to string me up seven times over :eek:): , so it could be seen as overkill for a ridge cord.

Personally I use 4mm (330Kg) climbers accessory cord for the ridge and (just for ease of handling) 3mm (180Kg) for the corners / sides. 550 paracord has a rating in between these two.

Cheers

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Adi007 said:
Maybe it's me but 10 quid for 23 meters of cord, 16 meters of which is 2mm, seems awfully steep ... :shock:

Adi - I'd say it's the 5mm that does it. I think you'd be lucky to get good 5mm cord for under 60p per metre anywhere, and it's often dearer.

For 2mm I'd be looking to get a 40m reel for under a fiver.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE