Look Closer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Maybe it's my age but these days I like to carry a magnifying glass about with me.

I've had a cheap, traditional one I found in Morrisons for a while but recently, I've been playing around with a new compass and if I need a very precise bearing, the scale is quite fine.

So out comes the magnifying glass and off goes the needle??? Like a dope, I hadn't thought about the metal rim deflecting the compass.
17433.gif

So here is my solution.

Magnifying_Glass.jpg

Half an hour with an awl and a bit of leather and I've got a pocket glass I like even better than the original.

Thought you might like it.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
You're a clever ol' stick, ar'nt you...very nice...like it a lot...if you wear it long enough you'll look like Patrick Moore...or Lord Snooty :D

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like it as well.
what do you do with it, slap the compass into submission with the leather thong. :lmao:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Nice one Gary,

I've several magnifying glasses and I know someone very close to me that would likely love to give that a go.

Another one of those 'why didn't I think of that before'.

Thanks for the idea.

Tom.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Glad you all like it.
8823.gif

That looks lovely :)

Is there an obvious source of leather bits that's not too expensive?

I started off looking around charity shops for old leather jackets for thin stuff and old handbags for thicker.

Leather furniture shops often throw out sample books that can have some good stuff in too.

I like it as well.
what do you do with it, slap the compass into submission with the leather thong. :lmao:

Transit_Compass-4.jpg

The scales on my compass are very fine and if I need better than one degree accuracy my eyes are not quite that good close up these days.

Nice one Gary,

I've several magnifying glasses and I know someone very close to me that would likely love to give that a go.

Another one of those 'why didn't I think of that before'.

Thanks for the idea.

Tom.

That's just me I guess, I tend to have a very "old school" approach to problem solving.

A lot of my gear ends up looking like it's been salvaged from the Nineteenth Century or earlier.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Great solution Gary, I really like that. I love to make my own gear when possible as do many others, but your stuff always looks next level! Top job...

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i like that a lot, i think that shall have to go on my ever growing "things-try-making-from-leather" list.

cheers

stuart

Biker

i like that a lot, i think that shall have to go on my ever growing "things-try-making-from-leather" list.

Yeah, wot he said! Lovely modification, very Steampunk-ish. Not familier with Steampunk? Run a google image search and prepare to be blown away, the computers are amazing.

Anyway lovely piece of work Wayland, well done!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that looks great wayland, finishes the job off nicely.

thanks for the reminder too, i'd forgotten all about this little project, i've even got a glass stashed away somewhere for this very purpose, i shall try and find it out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE