Long term survival shelter help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Yes it looks really cool , but i think I will do something like on the other photo but with raised bed.
Man you shouldn't showed me that bunker shelter , now I will have that in my mind until summer , until I will build it :)
I just can't stop thinking about it :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
]Freddes permanent shelter could be the way to go. Some clear and entertaining instruction in 3 parts.
Part 1.[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbHH3eReAIw&list=UUIq73l9XpOlq0LYP3l5tQPg&index=31[/VIDEO

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Yes it looks really cool , but i think I will do something like on the other photo but with raised bed.
Man you shouldn't showed me that bunker shelter , now I will have that in my mind until summer , until I will build it :)
I just can't stop thinking about it :)

Why not build a simple lean to shelter to kip in with a long fire.... then during the day, start work on your bunker shelter. It'll keep you warm and busy :D

img_4337.jpg

Last edited:

I like the look of this shelter.... I would suggest closing the back wall completely, build a raised bed there and maybe some sort of reflective material behind you to reflect the heat from the fire back onto you... .if you use a big tarp for the roof and then camouflage it with leaves it should be not too difficult to build...
if you're just 200m from a forest road make sure to keep the vegetation around your camp intact and fires smoke-free to reduce risk of detection:)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pit houses were common for winter village camps all over North America. Open fires and a very ingenious rock-filled tunnel for fire air.
Wanuskewin was occupied for some 6,000 years. Some had cold air well entrances and elevated sleeping benches. I would like to experience about 2 weeks of winter in one
Summer camps and meetings meant travel with much lighter weight/portable coverings.
Here in the Pacific Northwest, most winter camps were selected for environmental shelter from the landscape.
Summer and fall salmon and trout camps. . . well, the fish don't come to me!

On Haida Gwaii, the Haida people build stone weirs for salmon fishing, the water is about knee deep, perfect for spearing. They still cultivate mussels, oysters and clams.
There's good evidence that Pacific sea levels rose some 200' with the end of the last ice age. Just a year ago(?), Parks Canada had a couple of divers swim out and down the projected
courses of several salmon bearing rivers on Haida Gwaii. They found fishing weir patterns of rocks, just as deep as they could manage!

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
UNDERGROUND shelter = no-one can find it = no-one can steal stuff...
Ray Mears re Jewish people hiding in the forests...
There's an unfindable bothy in the Cairngorms - stone in a stone outcrop...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE