long term nessmuk users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now what you want to make seved is 2-3mm - scandy ground, carbon steel, forge finished with a handle made from a single piece of antler shed (including the crown as a pommel).....

You know you want to.......

Look into my eyes...........mot around the eyes (English joke about hypnotising) :D

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think it could be done full tang with a "slot" cut into the antler and then rivetted through. Or even a broad "stick" - more like a two third width tang if that make sense?

Red

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
whitertside.jpg

whitefork.jpg

nmk.jpg

nesscrown.jpg

2006_0611Image0071.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Always wanted to see one done like that - just the the original picture

trio.jpg

That would be lovely to see :)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whoa too slow!

Yep - like the Bark River one in hollowdwellers hand - but forge finished and scandy!

Red

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I sent that shed my wife found to Mike Stewart and he made those for me. Nice guy:cool:

My wife is the antler shed finding queen. She found 4, 1 matched set last year!

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
I think a begin with one later this spring. It could be fun to make one. I have O1 steel the cegga forged, i can take that.

HD do you have ducks. I have swedish blueducks. Realy nice birds.

Seved

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I've been carrying one I got from Jojo in a trade (when I finally get a camera I'll let you all bask in it's beauty. Perhaps Jojo has a photo. 3mm thick 01 Tool steel, with a birdseye maple handle. This is what I can recall completing with her;

I got her back in September when visiting my girlfriend in Indiana, USA. I was not used to those woods, but soon learned of the plants and trees. There were willows and tulip poplar all over the state, and I soon began making bowdrill fires. Some bowdrill kits I made, were as small as a tin of altoid mints. The Nessmuk did the job of whittling far better than I expected with such a curved blade. I also carved pipestems for my smoking habit, and prepared several dinners with the blade. All duties were completed beyond my expectations.

October I arrived back in Canada, and through that week I was canoeing and camping through the small water systems behind my new household. Balsam fir, and hard spruce trees were split and shaved down to kindling, as I threw sparks from a ferro rod with ease. Even my reliable Cold Steel SRK took a back seat as I played with this new toy. I knew from the beginning, due to the hump, that the spine of the blade would not be very useful for traditional flint and steel. But with the nice sharp edge on the spine, the firesteel showered the birchbark and old man's beard with more energy than I've seen come from any other blade/firesteel combination. I plan on speaking to Jojo later about making another sheath for the nessie, with a firesteel loop, and perhaps a matching firesteel (we'll talk later brother;) ).

After a week of testing, I went to Manitouwadge Ontario, just on the most northern tip of Lake Superior (North America's largest inland freshwater sea). This was moose and bog territory, and I was carrying a .308 Remington, my Cold Steel Rifleman, and of course, my Nessmuk. Besides a firesteel and a canteen of water, that was all of my gear on long, cold days in the northern bush. For most of the week, I was gathering labrador tea, northern sagebrush, and more old man's beard for my firekit. I used the nessmuk to snip through the hard stems of the dried, dead Labrador tea and northern sagebrush. I also used the nessmuk to hack the branches of fir trees down for better shots, as well as make seats for me while waiting on a game trail. I know I could have used the tomahawk, but I wished to test the nessmuk. As well, I planned on hacking through the ribcage of the moose we would later kill, so I wished for my tomahawk to remain very sharp. All of these duties were performed with elegance.

I hunted with two native men, my father and my uncle. As well as a French Canadien couple, and their son. All five hunters were impressed with the beauty and functionable shape of the nessie.

Finally, that thursday we bagged a large cow moose, pushing in at 1,200 lbs when gutted. The graceful curve of the nessmuk knife skinned and gutted the large moose like unzipping a coat or jacket. I checked the edge, still razor. But I touched her up on a basalt river stone, to bring it even sharper for the butchering part.

The next month, we bagged two deer, a large 10-point buck, and a young, healthy hind. Both were skinned and butchered back at camp, where my nessmuk was watched with interest by 7 other hunters, several of whom had been hunting since the 1940s, and one of whom has since passed onto the next life. Again I heard compliments for the shape and usefulness of the nessmuk. Obviously this design was made strictly for hunting and fishing. I can even see how it evolved from old time knives like the Green River Belt knives. Of which I had once owned, and had given to my younger cousin, since aquiring such a beautiful nessie.

I've as of lately been allowing buckskinners, flintlock rifle hunters, and fellow bushcrafter the chance to test and examine the blade. All give it high ratings, and several have asked me to contact Jojo for them, to see if they can work out a deal with him for similar blades.

Later this month I will be sending it to Dr Gino Ferri of Survival in the Bush Inc. to be tested by him, and his company's staff. I will then be mailing the nessmuk down to my dear friend John Campbell, founder and director of Arizona Bushman, a survival school in the desert region of the United States. I will be gathering their reviews after the rigorous tests they put this knife through. And after they finish, I hope to begin writing an even more detailed review of the blade.

I don't know if 7 months counts as long term nessmuk using, but I've used her on nearly daily activities, and she has become my most prized cutting tool. My SRK sits scornfully in my trunk, while my mora and Scandi knives sulk up on the shelf. I have a new love, and her name is Nessmuk.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I've been carrying one I got from Jojo in a trade (when I finally get a camera I'll let you all bask in it's beauty. Perhaps Jojo has a photo. 3mm thick 01 Tool steel, with a birdseye maple handle. This is what I can recall completing with her;

I got her back in September when visiting my girlfriend in Indiana, USA. I was not used to those woods, but soon learned of the plants and trees. There were willows and tulip poplar all over the state, and I soon began making bowdrill fires. Some bowdrill kits I made, were as small as a tin of altoid mints. The Nessmuk did the job of whittling far better than I expected with such a curved blade. I also carved pipestems for my smoking habit, and prepared several dinners with the blade. All duties were completed beyond my expectations.

October I arrived back in Canada, and through that week I was canoeing and camping through the small water systems behind my new household. Balsam fir, and hard spruce trees were split and shaved down to kindling, as I threw sparks from a ferro rod with ease. Even my reliable Cold Steel SRK took a back seat as I played with this new toy. I knew from the beginning, due to the hump, that the spine of the blade would not be very useful for traditional flint and steel. But with the nice sharp edge on the spine, the firesteel showered the birchbark and old man's beard with more energy than I've seen come from any other blade/firesteel combination. I plan on speaking to Jojo later about making another sheath for the nessie, with a firesteel loop, and perhaps a matching firesteel (we'll talk later brother;) ).

After a week of testing, I went to Manitouwadge Ontario, just on the most northern tip of Lake Superior (North America's largest inland freshwater sea). This was moose and bog territory, and I was carrying a .308 Remington, my Cold Steel Rifleman, and of course, my Nessmuk. Besides a firesteel and a canteen of water, that was all of my gear on long, cold days in the northern bush. For most of the week, I was gathering labrador tea, northern sagebrush, and more old man's beard for my firekit. I used the nessmuk to snip through the hard stems of the dried, dead Labrador tea and northern sagebrush. I also used the nessmuk to hack the branches of fir trees down for better shots, as well as make seats for me while waiting on a game trail. I know I could have used the tomahawk, but I wished to test the nessmuk. As well, I planned on hacking through the ribcage of the moose we would later kill, so I wished for my tomahawk to remain very sharp. All of these duties were performed with elegance.

I hunted with two native men, my father and my uncle. As well as a French Canadien couple, and their son. All five hunters were impressed with the beauty and functionable shape of the nessie.

Finally, that thursday we bagged a large cow moose, pushing in at 1,200 lbs when gutted. The graceful curve of the nessmuk knife skinned and gutted the large moose like unzipping a coat or jacket. I checked the edge, still razor. But I touched her up on a basalt river stone, to bring it even sharper for the butchering part.

The next month, we bagged two deer, a large 10-point buck, and a young, healthy hind. Both were skinned and butchered back at camp, where my nessmuk was watched with interest by 7 other hunters, several of whom had been hunting since the 1940s, and one of whom has since passed onto the next life. Again I heard compliments for the shape and usefulness of the nessmuk. Obviously this design was made strictly for hunting and fishing. I can even see how it evolved from old time knives like the Green River Belt knives. Of which I had once owned, and had given to my younger cousin, since aquiring such a beautiful nessie.

I've as of lately been allowing buckskinners, flintlock rifle hunters, and fellow bushcrafter the chance to test and examine the blade. All give it high ratings, and several have asked me to contact Jojo for them, to see if they can work out a deal with him for similar blades.

Later this month I will be sending it to Dr Gino Ferri of Survival in the Bush Inc. to be tested by him, and his company's staff. I will then be mailing the nessmuk down to my dear friend John Campbell, founder and director of Arizona Bushman, a survival school in the desert region of the United States. I will be gathering their reviews after the rigorous tests they put this knife through. And after they finish, I hope to begin writing an even more detailed review of the blade.

I don't know if 7 months counts as long term nessmuk using, but I've used her on nearly daily activities, and she has become my most prized cutting tool. My SRK sits scornfully in my trunk, while my mora and Scandi knives sulk up on the shelf. I have a new love, and her name is Nessmuk.

That sounds like some great testing!:You_Rock_ I saw a couple of JoJos that looked great!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk

well done jojo

bernie

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's one of those occasions where I am glad to be named and not shamed:D

This is the pic of Oz's knife:

DSCN0186-1.jpg

It is made of 3mm 01 tool steel, 4 1/2" blade if I remember correctly, scandi grind (to please Red :cool: )

I photocopied that drawing Red is showing to make the blade, I had to enlarge the handle because it was proportionally quite small, for my hand anyway. So the blade shape is exactly (well, as exact as you can get from photocopying such a small drawing) the original.

When I get a few spare pennies, I am going to get some Sambar Stag Horn, to make another Nessie as close to the original as I can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE