long term nessmuk users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Anyone been using a nessi long term?

if so what do you think of them for general use?

What thickness is yours I understand 2mm is the norm

Regards

Pignut

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I haven't been using one at all apart from a couple of bits of feather stick making and that earlier today. In fact, I've just finished burning them off. It carves well as long as you are only going in straight lines or shallow curves, due to the width of the blade. Saying that, the idea behind a Nessmuk style knife is that you chop with a hatchet and whittle with a small whittling knife such as a two blade pen knife. The large knife is a utility knife for use scraping shallows in the ground for a latrine or cutting staves for a shelter or similar.

The Jojo knife I have does good swinging cuts through reasonably sized green wood, and that was before I sharpened it right up. It wasn't blunt, it just wasn't razor sharp and I'm glad of that or else it would have done me more damage during the handling process! I will hopefully get out and play a bit more during the week with it, although I'll have to wrap it up to carry it as it doesn't have a sheath yet! So far though, it promises to be another great knife making the decision of which I take with me even more difficult!

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
The Nessmuk blade shape evolved out of a butchers knife, its design leans towards skinning and dressing large game. It can be used for other things, I had one for a while, it was good for chopping veggies and that was about it, no good for carving etc but then it was not designed to do that.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've tended not to use mine too much, not really sure why.
The nessmuk is a hunting style of knife pure and simple. It's not a wood carving or do-it-all blade at all.
They are similar to other types of skinning and butcher knife - think of it as a kitchen knife for the woods.
The curved edge makes it a good user for preparing food and the bump is meant to aid in skinning. Most of them come in between 2 and 3 mm - not really a thickness you'd want to be pounding on too much.
For the tasks most of us think of as bushcraft (whittling and woodwork) Nessmuk and Kephart both recommended a folding pocket knife and an axe for the bigger jobs.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I must say I do hanker after a feally good Nessie - more being intrigued by the design than anything - I sure don't need another knife :eek:

Red

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I must say I do hanker after a feally good Nessie - more being intrigued by the design than anything - I sure don't need another knife :eek:

Red

Now stop that Red! :slap: - You know you can NEVER have too many knives! ;) :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
mmm I'll probably succumb one day - when I see the perfect one - I do like the proper antler handles too - real "old school"

Red

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
yes the last thing I need is another knife, but as red says more out of intregue than anything...

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm not a long term user but my latest nessie is my knife of choice. It's a great camp knife for sharpening tent pegs, feathersticks and general carving. The shape of the blade doesn't lend itself to tight curved cuts but as I have a small sloyd knife in my kit with the spoon knife so that's not an issue. However I am suprised at just what you can achieve with it. Mines 3mm with a convex blade.
All done with a nessie and spoon knife.
2008_0215Image0053.jpg

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I love the ones I have. My favorite is 3/32" thick (the stripey one)

nessmuks1.jpg

cousins.jpg

I also like the bushcraft style knives but a lot of them are too thick like 4mm? One I really like of those is the Skookum cause it is only 1/8"

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I love the ones I have. My favorite is 3/32" thick (the stripey one)

nessmuks1.jpg

cousins.jpg

I also like the bushcraft style knives but a lot of them are too thick like 4mm? One I really like of those is the Skookum cause it is only 1/8"
Nice collection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE