Long Exposure Trial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Hey All,

Had my first real attempt at a long exposure with some extra off camera lights etc and thought I'd ask for some feedback.

Taken whilst camping at the weekend near Uckfield.

Exposure: 331s f/4 ISO:100

Camera: 450D
Lens: Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DI II LD

IMG_6699.jpg

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
cracking photo mate, i wish i could do stuff like that. get it copyrighted before MSR steal it!

stuart

E

ex member coconino

Looking west, somewhere close to midnight? FYI, (in case you don't already know), the constellation in the centre is Auriga, on the right is Perseus, the bright star bottom left is Aldeberan in Taurus and that at the extreme top left is Castor in Gemini. Draw a line up from the centre of the tent, the star to the right of the line a quarter of the way from the top is Capella.

I should add too that it's a splendid photo!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
That is a fantastic shot. I've been looking for a decent wide-angle lens, and have been considering the Tamron SP AF 10-24mm, and now I'm convinced that this is the lens I need :D

The Tamron lens is good and give a slightly wider focal lens than the Sigma 12-24 but the Sigma is considered sharper. The Tamron by f/5 is as sharp as the Sigma though.

looks brilliant
, can you post deteail of settings?? and lens camera and filters used?? thanks

Tutorial
This is just how to get the stars an a tent lit up, composition etc is up to you.

Just to be clear I used an ultra wide angle lens to get both the tent and the sky in by use what you have and plan you composition before it gets dark because the autofocus wont be able to lock on.

My shot was about a 6 minute exposure all in.

1. Set you lens to the LARGEST aperture you can get (mine was f/4).
  2. Switch to Manual (M) mode
  3. Change the sutter speed all the way to Bulb (B) setting
  4. Set ISO to 100
  5. When the shot it lined up take a test shot for 30 sec (anything longer and you get star trails)
  6. Review your shot - Too dark - longer shutter time next shot (if you don't want star trails and 30 seconds is to dark, turn up the ISO a notch and try again)

What you are trying to achieve is to just capture the stars forgot the tent for now.

To light the tent I used a wind up LED block from Millets, but you can use anything you like. Just have someone inside the tent to turn the torch on in the last few seconds of the shot.

So if you needed a 5 minutes exposure to to capture your stars as you want them - turn on the torch for the last 30 seconds or less (depending on how bight the torch is).

This will allow the camera to capture the stars and them give the tent a light boost in the last part of the shot without it all turning to white!

Remember this is ALL trial and error!!!

If anyone would like further info please let me know and I'll do my best - although Wayland might want to add his 2 pence worth.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE