Location location location

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
Ok guys as a newbie who also takes his kids with him I have some questions that I hope will get some good response and debate going.

First question is what makes a good location to set up camp.

Second question is how do you pick/ find your locations

Third question is what would you suggest I do next

We have done one camp on an overnight stay in a remote public wood ( not ideal I know), the kids had a great time but I was just a bit uncomfortable that joe public could walk though the camp at any time ( they didn't btw).

I know I will get some different answers from those below the wall (read as England) as you have different laws from us up here in the frozen north (read as Scotland).

Thanks
Jazz

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well Jazz,

If you camp in Templeton Woods you can tell some excellent ghost stories with a bit of history behind them. Though only the older members may remember. Used to be a Halloween tradition to camp in Templeton.

Seriously there's a few places to wild camp not far into the Sidlaws (cant remember the name of the hill next to the one with the TV mast behind Dundee) Don't know what they're like these days as I haven't been in years. There also is a wee cave over the bridge behind Newport near Scotscraig burn that we used to camp out in. Would need to spend some time with an OS map to find it for you. Will see if the map is in the house still.

ATB,
GB.

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
"Templeton woods" TEMPELTON WOODS" are you trying to put me off camping for life , have you read the afraid of the dark thread
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

But joking aside the other two sound good and not too far away, we have got ourselves hammocks to use rather than tents.

Well Jazz,

If you camp in Templeton Woods you can tell some excellent ghost stories with a bit of history behind them. Though only the older members may remember. Used to be a Halloween tradition to camp in Templeton.

Seriously there's a few places to wild camp not far into the Sidlaws (cant remember the name of the hill next to the one with the TV mast behind Dundee) Don't know what they're like these days as I haven't been in years. There also is a wee cave over the bridge behind Newport near Scotscraig burn that we used to camp out in. Would need to spend some time with an OS map to find it for you. Will see if the map is in the house still.

ATB,
GB.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"Templeton woods" TEMPELTON WOODS" are you trying to put me off camping for life , have you read the afraid of the dark thread
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

But joking aside the other two sound good and not too far away, we have got ourselves hammocks to use rather than tents.

On the Fear of the Dark thread have you read mine #23 and JonathanD's #26 they'll freak you out and mine was just up in the Cairngorms... not too far to travel.

Will see if the maps are downstairs (can't get into the loft at the moment) when I get in and dig out some grid references for you.

Auchmithie used to be nice for a beech camp but setting up hammocks can be a pain though feasible amongst the rocks.

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
Probably not too relevent to Scotland, but I have made some terrible choices in the past for pitching camp. Perhaps the silliest place I have ever tried to spend a night was on a small island in the middle of a river. Predictably, it poured down overnight and we got very wet! To make matters worse, my two companions at the time had each eaten a dodgy egg the night before, and were still suffering with food poisoning, so I had to drag them and their kit to safety as well.

On another occasion we pitched our tent on top of a fire ant nest. The very next night we pitched camp on top of a volcanic gas vent. Not a great trip. To be fair, the gas vent wasn't leaking when we made camp. But perhaps the lack of vegetation should have told us something. The common denominator in both of these cases was that we had just minutes to find a site and pitch before night fell. So my advice would be to allow plenty of time to choose your site and get set up before it gets dark.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have seriously considered writing a book if not a pamphlet or article on this very question
However you will be relieved to know I will keep this brief and generalised
Of course camping in most of UK without owners permission is against civil law so assuming you have sought permission if applicable
Firstly decide on a rough area you want to visit anywhere is possible is the motto here.
Then its maps and google earth time for some serious remote poking around
Further research may be around specific areas or woods Its amazing what you can find in books and on tinternet

For a site I always want water easily available so that's my priority a spring or stream are ideal
Then I am generally just looking for a nice flattish dry spot with a good distance from paths roads houses etc
I like a pub within walking distance but for me that can be 6 miles from camp
Taking kids brings its own difficulties in oh so many ways and personally if truly wild camping I would think twice
Also remember you don't always need a fire if however you want a fire be aware of how much attention smoke can bring to you

In Scotland you can camp in public areas within the law I don't think you can moan too much that others share the same right of access as you
I am Scottish living in England by the way

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Redandshane has some good info there, as well as maps and Google maps you can use Geograph, great resource where you can see user photo's of where you're going. Basically they're trying to get photographs of every grid square in Britain and Ireland. You can search by area, by thing or terrain. Nice for a looksee before turning up somewhere.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As the adage says "time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted", go and check the area prior to the camp and make sure its right for you. Its OK for adults to rely on the 'My mate said...' system but you need to get it right for youngsters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE