LK 35 modification. Central mesh pocket.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dr Toerag

Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham
I'm one of the many people who like to play with my LK 35 backpack to get it "just right". Recently I saw an idea which added a mesh pocket for waterproofs to the back of the backpack. It makes it easily accesible and easier to let it dry.
However, I'm not the greatest with sewing, so I looked for a way to add the mesh to the backpack frame. I've finally found the answer on Amazon by searching for Universal Car Seat Storage Mesh, and choosing the 30cm x 25cm size. It clips onto the frame easily and is the perfect addition for me.

36500544412_94b313da4e_m.jpg

36531613031_89c1b0469c_m.jpg

36623812006_fafe0ef8e7_m.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Toerag

Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham
I've also added a MOLLE Waist Pack to the top (seen in picture 2) as I miss the "Brain" of most other rucksacks. I like to have it for the organisation it provides. Again it straps into place with no sewing.

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
Or you could just daisy chain some thin bungee cord across the pack then knot your waterproofs on. Far lighter.

Bungee not even necessary if you want to go minimal. Just tie your waterproofs to the pack. No need to add excess/unnecessary weight.

Trotsky

Or you could just daisy chain some thin bungee cord across the pack then knot your waterproofs on. Far lighter.

Bungee not even necessary if you want to go minimal. Just tie your waterproofs to the pack. No need to add excess/unnecessary weight.

Jute string goes a long way, can be double up by twisting like making nettle cordage for extra strength, might even provide tinder and won't litter the environment if you lose some. At the moot just gone I used some jute twine to lash about 25+kg of split timber to an LK35 frame so I could haul it up to the Naughty Corner. It's stronger than you'd think!
The only thing I hang off the front of my LK35 is my west german folding shovel as it fits in the axe straps perfectly. I did stitch some webbing strap to the sides of the pack and bought some large pouches from Varusteleka that fit spot on, are waterproof and removable if I don't want them. One alone will take my hobo stove and some provisions.

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
Jute string goes a long way, can be double up by twisting like making nettle cordage for extra strength, might even provide tinder and won't litter the environment if you lose some. At the moot just gone I used some jute twine to lash about 25+kg of split timber to an LK35 frame so I could haul it up to the Naughty Corner. It's stronger than you'd think!
The only thing I hang off the front of my LK35 is my west german folding shovel as it fits in the axe straps perfectly. I did stitch some webbing strap to the sides of the pack and bought some large pouches from Varusteleka that fit spot on, are waterproof and removable if I don't want them. One alone will take my hobo stove and some provisions.

Sounds good.

Axe straps can also easily be improvised.

MOLLE pouches good, but material is usually pretty heavy.

Also unsure why our OP has an OD pack and camo gear. Pretty pointless for civvies. Better to use safety orange etc. That way, when you sit your gear down, you can find it again.

Never understood civvy use of camo gear for backpacking (hunting different, of course).

Dr Toerag

Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham
No camo on my gear!
Other than, technically, the paracord handle. Which was simply the cheapest paracord when i picked it up.
As to why people use OD, in the UK all land is owned and if you want to sleep outside (other than a campsite or your own garden) then muted colours make sense.
But thanks for your advice about wearing bright colours. However, we live in different worlds, you see. The kit I use is OD because it it's cheap and happens to be OD, weight doesn't bother me as much as cost and muted colours.

Last edited:

Trotsky

Sounds good.

Axe straps can also easily be improvised.

MOLLE pouches good, but material is usually pretty heavy.

Also unsure why our OP has an OD pack and camo gear. Pretty pointless for civvies. Better to use safety orange etc. That way, when you sit your gear down, you can find it again.

Never understood civvy use of camo gear for backpacking (hunting different, of course).

It depends on where you're camping and if you're wanting to get noticed or not. I take some camo and a camo shelter half if we go for a bimble in the woods for a day. I can set it up, screen us from paths a bit better and make a brew on my stove without some busy body dog walker having a moan to either me or reporting me for making a cuppa. Plus if you're sitting still and quiet in camo gear you stand a better chance of seeing some wild life than in some luminous jacket that rustles when you so much as breathe.

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
No camo on my gear!
Other than, technically, the paracord handle. Which was simply the cheapest paracord when i picked it up.
As to why people use OD, in the UK all land is owned and if you want to sleep outside (other than a campsite or your own garden) then muted colours make sense.
But thanks for your advice about wearing bright colours. However, we live in different worlds, you see. The kit I use is OD because it it's cheap and happens to be OD, weight doesn't bother me as much as cost and muted colours.

Of course. I'm in the UK also. Scotland, so possibly slightly different. No law against wild camping here. Laws against overnight parking in certain places, but camping is pretty much a free-for-all.

RE camping: I'd suggest orange for tent guy lines as you'll see orange in both summer & winter i.e. not trip up when leaving the tent!

If weight doesn't bother you, by all means do your thing! I travel fast & far, hence weight is an issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE