Little Book of Whittling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I don't know how many of you have seen this book yet but there's some fun and simple projects in there. All stuff you can do while sitting around the campfire.

littlebookofwhittling1b.jpg

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Hoodoo said:
I don't know how many of you have seen this book yet but there's some fun and simple projects in there. All stuff you can do while sitting around the campfire.

littlebookofwhittling1b.jpg

Just got it Hoodoo,great little book. :)

The guy knows what he is talking about and he has a sense of humour;not a bad combination.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Is this from the same guy who did 'Whittling sticks and small branches' ? with the 'roosters' and pheasants etc in it.
If so I bet it's a good book, I have the one above and I'm impressed with the step by step instructions.
The first part lists 10 things to do when whittling, 9 of them are 'make sure the blade is sharp' :)

Cheers

Mark

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Buckshot said:
Is this from the same guy who did 'Whittling sticks and small branches' ? with the 'roosters' and pheasants etc in it.
If so I bet it's a good book, I have the one above and I'm impressed with the step by step instructions.
The first part lists 10 things to do when whittling, 9 of them are 'make sure the blade is sharp' :)

Cheers

Mark

Yes, same guy, same 10 things to make sure of. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yup, as MK said, same guy. Chris has written 5 books that I know of. The second edition of his Whittling Twigs and Branches pretty much covers his previous books. The new book has lots of new stuff to carve.

lubkemannbooks1b.jpg

The cool thing is that his style of carving is perfect for the outdoors, at least where I spend most of my time. Twigs for carving are never far away. Lubkemann prefers birch and we have plenty of that here.

With a little practice, it doesn't take much work to carve one of Chris's critters.

carvedbirds1b.jpg

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
nice work mr hoodoo :35:

think i might have to invest. there's a deal for the pair on amazon.com

i can see a flock of twiggy birds soon to be talking over the house!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have the Twigs and Branches (also via a Hoodoo recommendation).

This is my very first Heron....pretty easy. I need another book it seems.

twigheron0cx.jpg

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
This is one of those books I've had for ages and done nothing with but having read this thread a while ago I figured I'd give something a bash.

I did the Horse first as it looked the easiest (I have made spoons, knives, pokers and spreaders already ;) ). Then I went on to make the little canoe which I'm still to finish but I had a little time this afternoon so I tried out the goat. Made it in Apple from a tree in my garden I felled last summer.

Anyway, here's my atempt:

whittling008.jpg

whittling007.jpg

Hope you like it :D I didn't sand it at all as I prefer them to look more rustic and the only tool I used for everything was my trusty Allan Blade PackPal. :)

Bam. :)

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I received a copies of "The Little Book of Whittling" and "Whittling Twigs and Branches" yesterday from Amazon. I had a crack at a Heron last nigt.
DSC00254.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE