Lightweight Tents....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iboga

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2010
England
Hello!
After mulling over which topic to base my first post on, I have decided to ask the following question:
Which of these tents would you pick over the other?

Quechua T2 Ultralite - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/t2-ultralight-pro-3244110/

Coleman Bedrock 2 - http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/coleman-bedrock-2-2010.html

VANGO Banshee 200 - http://uk.shop.com/Vango_Banshee_200_New_2010-362144146-408457033-p+.xhtml?sourceid=309

Aztec Rapido Tent - http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/aztec-rapido-tent-p-38.html?currency=GBP

As you probably guessed, weight is a big factor for me (im tiny y'see), so any help with choosing my next tent would be lovely!
:)
thanks in advance!

Last edited:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi and welcome :)
it would have to be the coleman for me, ease of entry, good features and pitch fly first. ive had a few colemans over the years and theyve never let me down, and less than £20!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You never mentioned if it would be just for you or whether there will be two people using them. The reason I ask is that these are down as 2 man tents but due to the shape and dimensions involved with the Coleman and Quechua I would describe these as one man tents personally. They taper down to about 80/85cm wide at the foot. If you have tried to fit two mats and two adults into as space that wide unless you have 3/4 or tapering mats I'd think you would end up with overlap on the mats alone. Not a problem really but it just goes to show that these two are not suitable for two adults sitting out a rainy day. I personally treat tents like these as 1 man only. Plus 2kg for a one man tent is heavy these days.

The Vango Banshee is a well regarded two man tent. It tapers dow to the foot (as do the above two tents) so you can lose some legnth as not being useable. The banshee is the best of these four tents IMHO.

The Aztec is a single skin tent. That means condensation. No escape with that one. There are two vents but they will not help much. Bring a towel with that one and bivvy bag / sleeping bag cover too. It might be big enough for two but you really don't want to risk touching the sides so treat it as a one man. It is 1.6kg which is light for a 2 man but as mentioned it is a two man due to not wanting to contacting the sides so is heavy IMHO.

IMHO the Vango is beyond a doubt the best option among these.

Someone mentioned the Vango Vitesse. It is actually in the Force10 sub brand and as such has better materials than the standard Vango tents. It is a single skin so has condensation. However unlike the Aztec it has a really effective vent at one end (with bug mesh) and the sleeping area (also with a double flap mesh bug door net) is away from the outer flysheet door. This door creates a very large porch area (although it slopes as it is the bell end of a frame tent like the highly regarded Force Ten tents which this is a lighter, single skin, baby brother). The effect of this porch is that you can leave it completely open in rain without water ingressing into the sleeping area. This might take a leap of faith but unless the wind is blowing the rain directly in you can leave it open which helps a lot with condensation in the single skin tent. It can survive strong winds of autumn and some winters too but is not fully winter suitable IMHO. I have used one for several years now for when the weather is bad and I want a little more security than a tarp and bivvy bag. At about £130 it is more expensive than the four above but is one option.

I wouldn't recommend the Aztec single skin tent as there doesn't appear to be enough venting.

Good luck and let us know what you get in the end.

BTW thought about a Vango Spectre 200? Its a three pole outer first tunnel tent. IT is definitely a two man though so perhaps only if you are using it for two people. It is a bit over 2kg so too heavy for one man use but it has a lot more room than any of the others with some very neat touches like the alcoves between the inner and the outer at each end formed by the pointed ofly being squared off at the ends by the inner. The inner has zipped half moon access to these recesses. Easily take two big people I laid two mats down and lay on top and there was space all around the mats so if to large lads shared they would not come into contact (unless they wanted to - modern times and all). I got mine for £50 but prices used to be £90 and now £110 IIRC at full RRP. Always get it cheaper by shopping around.

Anyway good luck and one more advice - get a tarp!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have both the Aztec Rapido and the Vango Banshee. The Vango wins hands down. If you want my Rapido I'll be happy to sell it to you. Don't buy it, you'll regret it. The ventilation is useless unless it's blowing a seven and without decent ventilation the condensation is truly appalling. I've been wetter after a night in the Rapido than if I'd slept in the open without it. It's a green one, not orange as in your link.

iboga

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2010
England
wow thanks for the replies!
Very informative indeed :)

@ woodspirits ~ thanks for the welcome :) and the info on the Coleman bedrock2! Yea the price is certainly a clincher but how is pitching the fly first, an advantage over the other tents?

@ ged ~ thanks for the offer matey but Ill take your advice and steer clear of the Aztec ;) cheers for the info!

@ Paul_B ~ Great in-depth reply mate! I am planning on using this tent to house myself and my kit (which will fit into one rucksack).
I am looking toward the Banshee200 more often now, and to read that you would choose it over the other tents i've listed further reinforces that possibility. Also thanks for mentioning the Spectre200, as I hadn't even looked at that spec tent!! It seems great but it is slightly heavy as you mentioned so I probably wont be including that in my buy list.
So i reckon my choice is down to the Coleman BedRock2 and the Banshee200. Pricewise, I would be going with the Coleman but as the Banshee has dropped to below £60, I may just get that instead!
Argh Decisions decisions ~ ill definately let you all know how I got on!
Cheers!

Last edited:

iboga

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2010
England
nice one dougster! Only just read the advice, and I am indeed buying a tarp - coz its a well good idea!
Just to update the thread:
I have bought a new 'Vango Banshee 200' based solely on the advice I received here.
Also I got it at a bargain price of £59 from Oswald Bailey! :D
roll on September...I am ready for you now!
;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE