Lightweight Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
A Friend and I are in need of a lightweight tent to use in Africa for two months.

Bearing in mind we are on student bidgets, can anybody make any recommendations?

Thanks, Harry

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not bought a new tent for a few years now but the Vango Micro 200 and TNF Mountain Marathon I have got have both served me really well. They`ve both stood up to some horrific UK weather admirably but Africa is a whole different ball game I suppose. You could probably pick one up cheap second hand now though.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Used to go to Zimbabwe as often as I could, and spent weeks at a time in the bush. What I liked best was just a simple hammock. Unless you're there in the rainy season, you won't have to worry about overhead cover or flying bugs. And being off the ground will make it a lot easier to relax about the ants and scorpions.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
hi,
dont be tempted to go for cheap rubbish - 2 months is a reasonable time in a tent.
i've got a golite hex3, really recommend it, not sure its quite right for what you want though.
dont forget repair kits!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I agree with a couple of the answers above, with my very limited experience of Kenya out in the bush I too would recommend a Tarp and hammock with a good mozzie net. The DD hammock with, in built net would be good and combined with a suitable tarp is not gonna cost the earth.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Man that sounds great!:You_Rock_

You could pretty much get away with alot of tents:

Cheap tents, cheap almost the same standard of gucci tents 10 years ago, you won't be too bothered if it get's broken or nicked.

Expensive tents they will work!, weatherproofing will be great, it will be lighter, it will probably have good features.

possible problems:

tent getting too warm? choose a tent you remove the outer leaving from so just the inner stands giving you a mossie/bug proof airy shelter.

Tarp, good in the bush but if camping near civilisations you will have no privicy and far less security.

Hope you have fun!
by the way mate are you still around before or after your trip as Norfolk and Norwich group is back up and running!

cheers
Rich

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Sizewise: for enough space for two (very tall) 20 year olds.

You've all said what I was thinking! A tent with outer will be a sauna in the mornings, and good idea to take off the outer. But then it is no more less secure or less private than a tarp with a mozzie net sleeping bit, so might as well go for the latter, right?

Does anybody think security will be a problem? We're not going deep into the bush, most times will be near civilisation. The countries are: Namibia, Botswana, Malawi, Tanzania. I was thinking of a tarp with a (very big) and dense mozzie net.

And great to hear the group is back up and running! I am off to Oxford tomorrow, but I'll be back this way in september, would be great to meet up.

Thanks,

Harry

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've no personal knowledge of Africa but i'd use a tarp and hammock or bivi with a large mossie net.

If it makes you feel better then put some scrub around you as a 'fence' and keep the fire going.

I think it'd be a waste of experience using a tent,personally.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Large parts of Africa are big empty spaces so a tarp and hammock is no good if there are no trees so you need a tent. You need space to keep cool so a small two man tent would not be ideal, go for at least a three man.

Ask John Fenna, he spends a lot of time in Africa so would know more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE