lightweight leuku style knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
it would have to be a reference to the false edge, some people like them some dont.

adds to stabbing ability only, it would actually reduce its chopping efficiency by reducing tip weight and strength.

"combat" leuku is a funny name, I'd 'ave called it a shazwazza

Nice work, keep it up

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just a quick note people. I'm watching this thread with interest, please keep it on topic and pertinent. Any further trolling and or sniping and I WILL become vexed.

Thank you in advance.

Josh as for the knife.... Not my kinda thing but that's why people ask for commissions, for something different. I assume if your customer wanted a bog standard Leuku he'd have just gone to Heinnie or the like. Well done on delivering a bespoke item to his specification.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I like it, especially the handle - it looks' like it'd be very comfy, and you picked a nice piece of timber. The swedge though, it looks like you've not polished it up enough, and it doesn't look particularly even, but that may just be the angle of the first photo. I think whats' giving me that impression is the 'run off' curve of the swedge as it rejoins the spine of the blade.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Just a quick note people. I'm watching this thread with interest

Too bloody right you should be keeping an eye on the topic!!!!

If this is the real reason why the Leuku has been given an upper edge :

adds to stabbing ability only

Then I really start to wonder if this is a forum about bushcrafting, or something else.

If the top edge isn't for this reason, then you can safely ignore my post.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Too bloody right you should be keeping an eye on the topic!!!!

If this is the real reason why the Leuku has been given an upper edge :

Then I really start to wonder if this is a forum about bushcrafting, or something else.

If the top edge isn't for this reason, then you can safely ignore my post.

As I understand it the swedge is there to have a finer more easily manipulated point for detailed work. I had never seen it until I saw a woodland special (hunting styled knife) on the BRK&T forum with one. I can't really see it helping with stabbing much seeing as it is unsharpened.

I think siberianfury has put his foot in it slightly using the word combat, as it seems to have caused a knee jerk reaction from most posters.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
As I understand it the swedge is there to have a finer more easily manipulated point for detailed work.

I would have thought the same, that is until I saw the word "Combat". At first that made me inquisitive. Then after more thought it made be concerned. As you say, the word "Combat" has possibly caused some confusion.

the guy im selling it to lives in a bender 24/7 hes just a bit of a rambo knife advocate

Please someone clear up for me, does "living on a bender 24/7" mean someone is drinking or taking drugs all the time? That's the definition of "bender" that I understand. Does that person really sound like someone who is interested in having a knife easily "manipulated point for detailed work" ??

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Don't have a go at us. None of us commissioned it! Josh made it for his customer, so isn't to his tastes either.

I'm not having a go at any of you :) I'm just starting to wonder what sort of forum this it. And I will of course ask polite questions until I can understand. :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Please someone clear up for me, does "living on a bender 24/7" mean someone is drinking or taking drugs all the time? That's the definition of "bender" that I understand. Does that person really sound like someone who is interested in having a knife easily "manipulated point for detailed work" ??

It means living in a temporary shelter, usually made from bent poles such as hazel and covered in a tarp or something suitable.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Hi Josh, I like a lot the general shape and the handle, great job as far as I may see on the pics
The only part I don't like is the false edge :-(

I agree - beautiful piece of work, but the false edge just detracts. Not having a go, I know he got what he asked for.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
I would have thought the same, that is until I saw the word "Combat". At first that made me inquisitive. Then after more thought it made be concerned. As you say, the word "Combat" has possibly caused some confusion.

i find it funny how the word combat can cause such a stir, the guy lives in a shelter, mabye ive been in glastonbury too long but thats what people call them, he lives off the land as much as he possibly can. as for the knife, he was priviously using an old axe and a cheap penknife, when he heard i was a knifemaker he was keen for me to make him a rambo type knife, seeing as hes been out doing bushcraft for such a long time i doubt he realy knows or cares about a 4" scandi ground bushcraft knife, to him the idea of a rambo knife was the best. i showed him a couple of my knives and he said he wanted a leuku with a false edge (for as he put it, cool effect) so hence i provided it for him.

anyway, hope this clears it, im sure if he had been browsing the internet looking at knives and not in the woods he would have come up with a more suitable choice, but there ya go.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Just thought I'd put my tuppence worth in now as I can't see this thread lasting much longer..
I'm pretty sure if Josh had used the same thread title as he used elsewhere this thread would have gone a bit differently, as Josh and many here are aware it is illegal to market a blade in the UK as being fit for "combat", I'm sure that was just a slip up on Josh's part and no more!

As for the blade itself...no its not to my taste, the false edge looks dreadful on that style blade, although thats just a personal opinion and perhaps the photo doesn't help but the the fit and finish looks good and the handle is very well done and looks like it would be a great shape to use for long periods without causing hot spots or fatigue!
One thing I'd suggest is skiving the edges of the sheath to give a rounder appearance then smooth off on a worn 320grit belt and finish with Feibings Edge Kote just for that pro finish!
Keep plugging away Josh, just take a second to think how others may read into your words before hitting the "submit thread " button.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Siberianfury wrote,

"... lives in a bender 24/7 ...",

and

susi wrote,

"living on a bender 24/7",

these two statements are not the same and may be construed quite differently.

It is a good idea to get your quotations right before casting aspersions.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
i find it funny how the word combat can cause such a stir, the guy lives in a shelter, mabye ive been in glastonbury too long but thats what people call them, he lives off the land as much as he possibly can. as for the knife, he was priviously using an old axe and a cheap penknife, when he heard i was a knifemaker he was keen for me to make him a rambo type knife, seeing as hes been out doing bushcraft for such a long time i doubt he realy knows or cares about a 4" scandi ground bushcraft knife, to him the idea of a rambo knife was the best. i showed him a couple of my knives and he said he wanted a leuku with a false edge (for as he put it, cool effect) so hence i provided it for him.

anyway, hope this clears it, im sure if he had been browsing the internet looking at knives and not in the woods he would have come up with a more suitable choice, but there ya go.

They call them benders up here too - and you have to be pretty hard core to live in one 365, even in the SW. That's a lifestyle, not a hobby like bushcraft almost always is.

Can we get away from all this bitchiness please? I feel like I'm hanging out with a bunch of teenaged girls, rather than a collection of resourceful outdoors folk...

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Siberianfury wrote,

"... lives in a bender 24/7 ...",

and

susi wrote,

"living on a bender 24/7",

these two statements are not the same and may be construed quite differently.

It is a good idea to get your quotations right before casting aspersions.

I agree. But I believe this misunderstanding was already cleared up :)

We all can make a mistake when trying to understand something. I did and admit it. I misunderstood, sorry.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i was asked by a customer to make them a lightweight leuku style knife, they wanted a false edge on the back of the blade for( asthetic purposes.)
this is what the customer wanted you cannot assume that they wanted it for any other reason when they state the above regards dave

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Josh - if you ground a 1/4" off of the tip creating a slight drop point and then put in the false edge it would look a lot better mate. it just looks funny on the straight spine.

All the best

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE