Lightweight boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
My favourate boots just fell apart today

They were Brasher Supa Lites had them about 15 years had loads of wear out of them but eventualy the side joint has just given up

So the question is what to buy as a replacement

I have some magnums to be going on with so no rush , but what do others wear for comfort not serious outdoor wear but in the workshop, basic walking, dry / good weather etc

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Karrimor KSBs are good value for fair weather tramping. You can pick them up from places like Soccer Sports for about £30 a pair, rrp is normally about £70.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
My EDC :)D) boots are blundstones 500, have used them in mountains and woods too. And good for workshop and stable use too. Plus they look good.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi as long as It's not too serious (like mountain winter conditions) I would have a look at Merrel.
I've been wearing them since 2002, when i sold them in a blacks shop.
Never had any problems and they have vibram soles and many have Goretex linings.
worth a look as they do loads of different styles from trainers to leather boots

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just thought another consideration for summer could be army issue Jungle or desert boots, very light and cool. but still protective not so comfy on tarmac but fine for sand mud and dirt.

Langers

May 13, 2009
Brighton
I have Hanwags for winter, but for summer some lovely cheap British Desert boots with a decent aftermarket insole.

Yes they get muddy but they clean up really easily, especially if you have put a bit of nikwax spray on first.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
The Karrimor KSBs are good value for fair weather tramping. You can pick them up from places like Soccer Sports for about £30 a pair, rrp is normally about £70.

I have a pair of these and they nearly crippled me, the rubber soles are badly molded and made one of my feet tilt sideways when I walked and on top of that when I wore them in the recent heavy snow fall we had they gave little to no grip and leaked badly. I'd be very weary when choosing a pair of these.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I have a pair of these and they nearly crippled me, the rubber soles are badly molded and made one of my feet tilt sideways when I walked and on top of that when I wore them in the recent heavy snow fall we had they gave little to no grip and leaked badly. I'd be very weary when choosing a pair of these.

The Old KSB's which were really good were made by Italian boot firm Garmont.. Since Karrimor went bust it's been bought and the new owners are just trading on the name Quality has gone significantly down the pan...

Meindl Desert Fox - Love em.

Seconded... Well made, good support in the medial plane. Not waterproof in any way but fast drying. Here in NZ you can get them in Sage Green rather than Desert Tan... No Need for muddy puddles....

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
The Old KSB's which were really good were made by Italian boot firm Garmont.. Since Karrimor went bust it's been bought and the new owners are just trading on the name Quality has gone significantly down the pan...
I have a pair of Karrimor Exmoors - very comfortable and lightweight, and no problems with waterproofing or quality control so far.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For basic walking, dry/good weather I'd ask the question "Do I need boots at all"? You see us bushcraft campers camped in our bit of woodland with bloody great boots and are they really needed? Lots of fell runners, UL hill walkers just use good training shoes. I've a couple of pair of boots but in better weather use Karrimor KBS, £19.99 from a local store. They do a lot of designs in this range so check them carefully if you decide to buy, some designs are very narrow, others are fantastic. Truth be known as I only 'base' camp these days all I really need are my trainers and a pair of wellies for the winter months, trainers and crocs for the summer:)

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Salamon approach shoes are a good pair for fair weather. A kind of rugged trail running shoe. Hard enough to resist abraision and rocks but light enough to run in. Around £60.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE