Lightweight boot recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
How light do you want to go? the absolute lightest are the Inov8 286 Gtx (I have a pair of the previous 288 Gtx) and they are definitely featherweight. I have them for hand luggage when I need to wear a suit on the plane. A pair is less than 600g (so much less than the Altbergs for instance) but still gore tex waterproof. Personally for most things I'd have a little more weight.

Last edited:

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
How light do you want to go? the absolute lightest are the Inov8 286 Gtx (I have a pair of the previous 288 Gtx) and they are definitely featherweight. I have them for hand luggage when I need to wear a suit on the plane. A pair is less than 600g (so much less than the Altbergs for instance) but still gore tex waterproof. Personally for most things I'd have a little more weight.

Ok thanks, another for me to check out. I have no idea how much the Meindl's weigh but they are very light. Something similair in weigh would be fine.

Luke.

Mar 20, 2013
Heartfordshire
I have had a pair of these boots for a long time about 2 years with cadets and I have done every thing form short walks to week long walks. I would highly recommended them they have a type of fabric stuff but it is completely water proof. I have walked through shallow streams and I have never got wet.
http://www.magnumboots.com/uk/cobra-8-0-waterproof.html
I don't know about weight compare to walking shoes. But in comparison the normal issue boots the cobras weigh nothing.
Luke

D

Deleted member 36581

I don't like magnum boots. I wear high leg boots at work every day and when i had magnums they always started to fall apart after about 6 months. They are fine for the odd outdoor jaunt but don't stand up to serious use. I much prefer the lowa I have now, 3 years of daily wear with lots of tarmac and dirt walking and still going strong. Not specially lightweight though, although not heavy.

I have had a pair of these boots for a long time about 2 years with cadets and I have done every thing form short walks to week long walks. I would highly recommended them they have a type of fabric stuff but it is completely water proof. I have walked through shallow streams and I have never got wet.
http://www.magnumboots.com/uk/cobra-8-0-waterproof.html
I don't know about weight compare to walking shoes. But in comparison the normal issue boots the cobras weigh nothing.
Luke

Sent from my HTC One X

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
I love Meindls too. Try coating them with Nikwax. Have done this several times with fabric boots and works a treat. Could extend your existing boots' life for quite some time if you work the Nikwax well in and retreat periodically.

You lose a little breathability but...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE