light 2 man tent advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
how irritating, i typed out my long winded post and then the site crashed and i lost it.

i'm looking at 2 man tents now. I posted about bivi advice and now i'm thinking about 2 man tents. I have a 3 man tent for proper camping but I want a backpacking one. Its more likely the other half will come if its a bit more luxurious.

I've seen two tents whilst looking on the net. The first is the Forces 2 tent, made by Highlander (http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/detail/rowid=721) and the Jura Single Hoop (http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/detail/rowid=724)

I like the price of the Jura Single Hoop, the weight and and the simplicity. My concern is that its not very waterproof. How much rain will 1000mm HH material take in the real world? Will I get soaked if it rains hard?

The Forces 2 is more expensive, heavier and smaller (key point here, i'm just after 6ft 4) but its more waterproof. Has anyone got any thoughts?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
They both look decent tents. If you're worried about getting wet, why not give the other half a tarp to carry and you can sling the tarp over the tent if it looks like it'll be persisting down.

Eric

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
good idea! the only problem is it'll be something else to carry and also something else to buy.

I'm trying to get some really light weight (but very cheap!) gear

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
when i first clicked on it i was thinking what a good deal that was

the problem is its too small! the inner tent is only 190cm!

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
well sleeping bags are currently being aranged. think i'm going with a Nanok Endurance 0. Am running another thread alongside this one on mats, have a closed cell foam mattress but would like to get a proper one.

graywolf, thanks for the advice, will prob keep looking

birch-fire, the first one in your link looks better than the second. the second one is too heavy.

mind you, the forces 2 tent is in between those two in terms of weight. its more waterproof though

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
regarding backpacking tents, have a look at henry shires web site.he makes tarp tents and very good they are too,single skin and very light.the one i have when packed looks about the size of the bag most people would carry their poles in.depends what you are looking for,but i am happy with mine.
litefoot.:)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
My concern is that its not very waterproof. How much rain will 1000mm HH material take in the real world? Will I get soaked if it rains hard?

Although other tents might have a HH of more than 1000mm 1000mm is the minimum requirement for a fabric to be called waterproof in the UK.

Supposedly its equivalent to heavy rain in a 35 mph wind.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
regarding backpacking tents, have a look at henry shires web site.he makes tarp tents and very good they are too,single skin and very light.the one i have when packed looks about the size of the bag most people would carry their poles in.depends what you are looking for,but i am happy with mine.
litefoot.:)

thanks for the help - the tents look good but out of budget!

Maybe this tent: http://www.robens.de/Tent.aspx?b=Robens&bid=1&lid=1&l=en-GB&ID=149&pid=1

Don't know where you'd get it in England. I've been a bit looking at the tent as it's quite light.. I saw it set up in a shop and looked like good quality material.

edit: here in england: http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Outdoor_Megastore_Robens_Tents_211.html

It's a danish brand so it must be good. :lmao: (coz i'm danish too)

That tent looks excellent! What a cracking idea! Its like one up from a tarp!

The only issues with it are the price and the space. 1.2m width isn't huge when there's gonna be two people in there plus our bags. Its a really nice little thing though, and seriously light! Plus very waterproof! I really like it a lot

What's your budget?

Budget isn't truly fixed as I guess I could stretch a bit more but the reality is about £40ish. Maybe up to £50? I bought my 3 man tent second hand of ebay, its in really good nick and was £40. This is going to be my second tent and won't really get used much at all. Just the odd night I fancy spending out. Can't justify spending too much

Although other tents might have a HH of more than 1000mm 1000mm is the minimum requirement for a fabric to be called waterproof in the UK.

Supposedly its equivalent to heavy rain in a 35 mph wind.

Thanks dommyracer. Is that just what you know or is there a guide anywhere?

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London

Rat - thank you! what a great price, i'm going to start saving/justifying. I really like the tent and that's a great price

I've actually momentarily solved the tent issue. I've just bought the Jura Single Hoop tent on ebay. Its not exactly what I was looking for as I wanted something more waterproof and more stable, plus its blue, would have most definitely rathered the olive green BUT..... it was cheap... £9.99! plus i can pick it up so i won't have to worry about postage costs! I'll let you know how i got on with it

If its crap i'll throw it away, can't argue for a tenner!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE