Lidl to sell Reindeer!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ratman2

Nov 12, 2010
Lincolnshire
There's Lidl about five miles from me, unfortunately it's closed for refurbishment, opening again in December, hope they have some Rudolph meat cos I wanna try it.:D

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Defo getting some of this, my eldest loved venison so i reckon he'll be well up for this!
he liked kangaroo too :D

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you live in Cheshire,Lancashire, Cumbria or Yorkshire there is a supermarket chain called Boothes. They have a promotion on for national game week. 30% off game meat at the moment. They do nice packs containing rabbit, venison, and some other gamemeat as well. They are doing various birds all prepared (including som very nice looking, small birds too). Wish I could tell you waht was on offer. The Rabbit meat was about £4 per kg IIRC. The Venison was a little more. All the meats were well packaged and as I said the game birds were prepared for the oven (some with the streaky bacon to keep it moist like you do on turkey).

I once lived over the hill from a deer farm. We went over there in a blizzard and saw a load of them stuck in a small field which we later saw was more mud than grass. On the blizzard day there was not much there for them to eat. There was an empty feed container. Surprised me at how big they were. Anyway never put me off my venison. Like a bit now and again but reindeer, well that is a real treat. Must get to a Lidl soon before they sell out.

When is it coming on the market?

BTW I am very lucky where I am as there is a new farm shop that sells game meat relatively cheaply and with living 10 minutes from Milnethorpe where there is a very good game butcher I think I am lucky. Don't go there enough. Then there is GRange not too far away. The butcher who owns the one in Grange, Cumbria who is supposed to be really good also owns the one in either Milnethorpe or Arnside AFAIK. Before moving here there were no places near me to buy game. I once lived near Southport and there was a good game butcher there. That was where we got our first rabbit from. Managed to pursuade my Dad to get one that we could prepare ourselves. I was only about 8 or 9 then but I was allowed to help skin and prepare it. It never bothered me one bit.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Rudolph the red nose reindeer, makes a very tasty stew....

not seen a boothes tbh, i'm in warrington and our local market actually has a few game sellers on there. they had whole legs of venison for 9.99 the other week massive things!
they regularly have rabbit and seeing as its season they now have duck and pheasant :D

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Off to Lidls tomorrow - I love the taste of reindeer. When I was backpacking in Scandinavia I managed to tread in a big pile of reindeer s***, and it was an absolute swine to get it off my boots, so I resolved to eat some reindeer in revenge. Revenge has never tasted so good!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Windermere is one of Booths biggest turnover stores I believe (Ulverston is another). It is a good one. Remember it opening. The Kirby Lonsdale one is also quite good IMHO. I once worked at their old head office in the Preston town centre. An excellent company to work for. They had sales of samples, unopened stuff. Basically for £0.10 per item you could take whatever you wanted to home. We would get a call from upstairs and we would go up and basically take whatever we wanted for 10p each. They did the same for wine samples, only these were opened and had a tiny bit taken out. These were only 50p for potentially a £15 bottle of wine. All monies went to the Chairmans charity of the year. They raised a lot surprisingly through these sales and other means. They were once in the top 10 employers in the country according to this big survey that got published in the Sunday TImes every year.

Sorry off topic but Booths is one of the few supermarkets I've been in that have game in there all year round. Venison is the main one but duck, partridge, pheasant are also there a lot.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
People are really wierd about meats and animals aren't they. On a recent homeland visit, I went out lamping with air-rifles for bunnies with my nephew, and we did very well. I took a bunny round to a friend's house (skinned, jointed and frozen in a ziplock) as a gift. My mate was more than pleased, but his girlfriend was flipping out, saying she didn't want to see it, we couldn't store it in the freezer because it might "contaminate" things (with what, I don't know), that I was "cruel", and that the presence of the bunny meat was making her feel "queesy". I had a hard time biting my tongue, cause she was sat there saying all of this whilst eating a ready made, frozen chicken, microwave meal, which was doubtless made with factory farmed chicken, raised and nurtured on growth hormones for it's entire six months of life.
Reindeer.....beef.....it's just meat. The only difference is that I suspect (but don't know) that the reindeer had a better life than the cow, and was probably raised in a more natural and ethically sound environment.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE