Lid for a dutch oven?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
After Shewie's excellent stew at the weekend I remembered there was an ally dutch oven lying in the loft when I moved in here. It's brand new and says "Diamond British made" on it.

The oven's about 12 1/2 inches internal diameter, 6 1/2 high and has just over a 1/4 inch thick walls.

Unfortunately there's no lid there so does anyone know where I could get one?

couple of pics...
P1010882.jpg

P1010881.jpg

ATB,
Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's an aluminium jeely pan.
They had to make them thicker than the brass because the jam sticks and burns.

You can get a really good lid, with a glass insert and a fold down handle, that'll fit it in Ikea.
I know it fits, because I bought one to fit the aluminium jeely pan I use for dyeing :D

cheers,
Mary

p.s. they work fine over a campfire, just don't let them boil dry.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
That's perfect Mary, thanks

it's a lot thicker than any jeely pan I've seen but I'm guessing still good for a good big pot of something by the fire :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those diamond ones weren't cheap, they were cast iirc, not spun and they had really solid handles :approve:
They (or very similar) can still be bought new. Technically they're called Maslin pans.

http://www.jamjarshop.com/buy/aluminiummaslinpan/?gclid=CIXvztu_yaUCFQXxbwod4H2Y_g

Folks got a bit paranoid over the subsequently disproven aluminium/Alzeheimers association, and many of the aluminium jeely pans were abandoned.

Good find :D

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE