Licence to catch crab/lobster in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 11, 2014
Fife
Hey all,

This is my first post here and I was going to have a go at putting a few pots in the Firth of Forth in Scotland to see what I could catch. Because I live right on the shore, I thought it would be a great way to attempt to get something tasty for my dinner once in a while!

Only thing is, I can't figure out if I need a licence or not. I've looked on the marine scotland website and there's no mention of hobbyist licences, which I know you can get in some areas of England. So can anyone advise what the rules are if your in my neck of the woods?

Thanks!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I would suggest you contact DEFRA, they can at least point you in the right direction.

You want to be aware, that even with (or without if not needed) a license, you may find local fishermen most displeased at you operating in their waters.

Let us know how you get on.

Julia

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say that I never thought I had to when I regularly put out creels when I lived in Crail. Used to have 3 to 4 pots down at a time and no-one ever mentioned needing a licence. As to the local fishermen, I used to help them out on my days off and keep an eye on divers pinching out of creels so they were happy with my little operation.
Also used to help the girlfriends father with his summer creel harvest up in Ardnamurchan where they spent long holidays. Again he never had a licence and they locals were fine as he'd built up a relationship with them over time. Again he was only putting out a handful of creels at a time.

Jun 11, 2014
Fife
Thanks for the advice :) I'm talking 2 little collapsible pots here, so I don't think the local fisherman are going to feel too threatened! I just thought it would be fun to try, as i've been shrimping the last few weeks and have gotten a few tasty meals out of it. I'm just over in Lower Largo and i've not seen a huge deal of fishing activity where I am in the estuary to be fair.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say there's few foraged meals better than sitting down to a couple of lobsters cooked on a beach fire with some wild accompaniments, fresh baked bread and some chilled wine/beer. Lunch of wild kings that is.

One thing though try to stick to the recommended sizes and throw back the wee ones. Got to the stage that now half the ones I see for sale or in restaurants I would've put back for being undersized.

Not sure how it works in Scotland but I looked into it in Northern Ireland and the law here states no more than 4 pots per boat, take home is only one lobster and/or 4 edible crab per boat pet day and no selling the catch on, must only be for personal consumption , more than that and you need a commercial license.( note, law is per boat regardless of how many are aboard and not per person)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure how it works in Scotland but I looked into it in Northern Ireland and the law here states no more than 4 pots per boat, take home is only one lobster and/or 4 edible crab per boat pet day....

WOW! Our limits for recreational licenses are:
-Blue Crabs = 10 gallons whole crabs per harvester per day with a minimum legal size of 4 inch carapice
-Blue Land Crab = 20 crabs per harvester per day
-Stone Crabs = 1 gallon of claws (harvest of the whole crab is illegal) per harvester per day with a minimum legal claw size of 2.75 inch
-Spiny Lobster = 6 per harvester per day in Monroe County and 12 per harvester per day in all other areas of the state

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi kjarva

The Crown Estate owns the foreshore in Scotland and manages aquaculture licencing. I don't know if this extends to small scale potting. I've emailed one of the Asset Managers in the Edinburgh office to check for you. He's on leave until Monday so don't expect a reply until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Nigel.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
One issue is, who's shore is it that you plan to fish? If it's crown you can gather sea wares, sea weeds flotsam & jetsam etc, fish for shell fish and all fish (using legal methods, so no mono nets in scottish territorial waters) with swim bladders except salmon (and since the introduction of the salmon & sea trout act, no sea trout either) between the mean low and high tide marks. 50% of the scottish shore is crown, 25% is contested by the crown and the remaining 25% is in other hands.

I'd just do it, the only issue to my mind is selling the produce. Still worth finding out who owns your particular bit of shore though ;)

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi kjarva

I've had a response from the Asset manager. I hop this helps:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Nigel

No is the short answer, it’s a matter devolved to Scottish Government: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/Sea-Fisheries/InshoreFisheries

Paul
---------------
Hi Paul,

I have a question about licencing. It’s probably nothing to do with TCE but do we issue licences for the use of lobster pots in the Firth of Forth? A poster on a bushcraft forum is asking for advice as he wants to try putting out pots but is uncertain if it is licenced.

Thanks,

Nigel.

Jun 11, 2014
Fife
Thanks for all of the great advice everyone - I put my first pots out at low tide this morning and am going back out at midnight when I take my dogs for a walk to haul them up and see if I catch anything I'll let you all know how I got on :D

Jun 11, 2014
Fife
Also Nigel, Thank you so much for your response - really cleared things up for me. If I knew how to give you rep (not sure if you've got rep points on this forum) i totally would!!

sorry dont know whereabouts in scotland you are but when i lived in methil , fife there were a few guys had small boats (like rowing boats) who threw a few lobster pots out just for their personal table. they didnt bother about any permissions or anything.
kind of annoys me how "the crown" can decide these matters!
good luck to ye tho mate hope ye catch well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE