LF scandi/puukko blade and masur birch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
sideview.jpg

I finally got around to finishing this one. I gave his Lordship a drawing and he came up with a spot on 3mm O1 puukko'ish bushcrafter. He added a nice patina etch to it too.

backview.jpg

I wanted to try for a sort-of medieval look and choose Masur Birch for the scales. The handle is what you would find on a typical puukko: plain round with just a slight curve. Very comfortable. The knife has been soaked in Danish Oil for a week.

Now a final polish, a sharpening session and a sheath :)

-Emile

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Now...that I like!!:)

If you would like to send it to me i will let it soak in my hand for the rest of my life.:D :rolleyes: :D

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
That is a seriously nice looking knife. Will look the dogs danglies with the handles polished. Is it getting a scandi style sheath or something a bit different?

Yep, I will try to make one. I've only done pouch sheaths so far. I think that I need thinner leather than my standard stock for a scandi style, so I need to shop around.

-Emile

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Very nice knife, good luck with the sheath. A nice piece of paterned leather to match the blade would be nice.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
that is a real cracker, absolutely love the design.

thats just speaks out to me, very well done both of you and can i have one?:You_Rock_

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
This is the etch on the blade blank. I like to use an etch on a working knife as it covers the scratches and dings pretty well.

PICT0931.jpg

This is the blade profile on the blank.

PICT0936.jpg

Erraaji's design and Erraaji's finishing are great, I kind of fancy making my self one to play with

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just wondering, what does soaking the scales in danish oil for a week as opposed to just rubbing it down with it? I'm guessing producing a richer finish?

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
That looks absolutely fantastic Emile!
With the sheath your planning it will have a neo-scandi-kochanski kind of look.
A knife I personally would be very proud to carry.

/ Karl

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Just wondering, what does soaking the scales in danish oil for a week as opposed to just rubbing it down with it? I'm guessing producing a richer finish?

It penetrates deeper into the wood and gives it a much darker colour. The texture feels different, too. You basically saturate the handle material - which works if the stuff is not already stabilized and closed up.

Since Danish Oil will turn solid (it is a mixture and not just an oil), you get sort of a stabilizing effect.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
That looks absolutely fantastic Emile!
With the sheath your planning it will have a neo-scandi-kochanski kind of look.
A knife I personally would be very proud to carry.

/ Karl

Thanks Karl,

I will update the thread once I get around to doing the sheath.

-Emile

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Emile Farquhar Knife? Eraai Fied Knife?

Nice design - gotta love 3mm O1 - nothing better for a bushy knife in my view.

Thats a great blade and a lovely finish - congrats both - looking forward to seeing the finished article!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE