Leveraxe Review (by Wranglerstar)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The topic of these Leveraxes has come up on the forum from time to time

51eq9Qvx%2BHL._SX466_.jpg

There have been comments about them but I don't recall a member here reviewing them.

Well today Wranglerstar (who some of us watch on youtube) did a detailed review compared to a traditional maul - I thought I would post it up as his conclusions (given that he appears to have been asked to review it by the maker and sent review specimens) gives a fairly unbiased perspective,

Warning - There is a scene of nasty axe injury Cody's sister got in the making of the video

[video=youtube;w_s3Ci1Dl0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_s3Ci1Dl0s[/video]

(For those who don't want to watch the video - save your money!).

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice to have your instincts confirmed.

Wasn't aware they were $300+ before now either... unbelievable.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Id never seen them before this, looking at it a the start of video i was trying to work out how it worked and couldnt, and seeing it in action it looked awkward.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I hope his sister got her tooth sorted, that looked painful.

I guess the accident happened when she was trying to yank the lightweight axe out of the log, and she hit herself in the face with the handle. Pretty easy to do and a good example of why a splitting maul is better for splitting than an axe.

thanks for the vid, interesting I'll have to look at some of his other stuff.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I like wranglerstar a lot, think he was spot on (not that I've ever handled the lever axe) like Jared it was a case of reassuring my first thoughts on it but I know I'll definitely be sticking with he olde faithful maul :).

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hope his sister got her tooth sorted, that looked painful.

I guess the accident happened when she was trying to yank the lightweight axe out of the log, and she hit herself in the face with the handle. Pretty easy to do and a good example of why a splitting maul is better for splitting than an axe.

thanks for the vid, interesting I'll have to look at some of his other stuff.

He does some very interesting stuff on homesteading, timber framing etc.

Theres a bit o religious stuff, but I just skip those videos as his beliefs are not mine.

Overall though theres some good stuff in there.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for posting this Hugh. Before we moved 8yrs ago we had a woodburner so used a lot of logs, we've now sold again, & the property we are hopefully getting has an open fire so we will have another woodburner, but I've still got my maul & axe so won't change to the new fangle one's.
About 10yrs ago, when "in my prime", I could split logs using my large wetterlings axe faster than my friend could with the hydraulic splitter on his tractor, though after 2hrs I was a lot sweatier than he was !.

Rob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I confess to having a pneumatic splitter these days Rob - it is faster by hand - but not over 8 hours :eek:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don't much like the look of these tools and the video did not persuade me that they were any better than splitting with a maul or axe. I did quite like the tyre surrounded splitting block, though. That looked as though it could be quite serviceable but obviously only for splitting larger logs end on.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Used a weird axe a while ago, had bits that sprang out of the sides when it went in the log. Weird contraption
Chopper 1 splitting axe, here's a pic I found on the net.
OddAxe1.jpg

Still preferred my maul by quite a margin

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Ouch, nasty injury there, could have been worse I suppose.

The leveraxe though, up there with the concrete parachute in the museum of pointless inventions.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Seen these before, and I thought they were crap before I knew the price! Sweet child o mine! $350, that's outrageous

Don't get me wrong, my axe budget is pretty open but its gotta be worth it $350+ for that. I can't get over it
My splitting maul is a roughneck brand about 20-30 quid I think it was...it needed a little file work but i'd pit that against a leveraxe all day long

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Used a weird axe a while ago, had bits that sprang out of the sides when it went in the log. Weird contraption
Chopper 1 splitting axe, here's a pic I found on the net.
OddAxe1.jpg

Still preferred my maul by quite a margin

Saaw something similar to that about 30yrs ago in a hardware store in Market Harborough when we lived there, never used one though. My maul was a real cheapy about £5 as I recall, does the job though, or did not used it in a while.

Rob

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Be interesting to see that splitting method (with axe and tyre) up against the bare-footed axe wielder that was posted up a week or so ago... especially if she had a tyre to chop in.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have merged Stevenjdowd's new thread on this topic with British Red's earlier one which adds a useful video review and comments.

My own opinion is that the designer is trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing, if someone cannot master the very basic techniques of axe craft then they shouldn't be using an Axe.

IMHO

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE