Leuku with wood/leather/cork handle - how to finish it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hi folks,
I've made a handle for a 8" Leuku blade (from Lauri) from what I had lying around in my cellar (basswood, 3 mm leather, 2 mm aluminium sheet, cork):

Leuku_2.jpg

Here's the knife next to my little Roselli whittler (Grandma's knife):

Leuku_1.jpg

I've only sanded the handle up to 240 grit but haven't treated it with anything yet.

Normally I soak the handles in boiled linseed oil overnight but I'm not sure whether this goes well with the cork :confused:...

Does anyone of you have experience with cork handles (I'd assume that it has similar properties to bark handles)? How do you treat your own?

Alternatively, I also have beeswax (pure or in a kind of balm for antique furniture :rolleyes:).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/recommendations :)

Jörg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Jorg
Do you have some corck to test with the linseed oil. IMO it will work OK though. I would put a more pronounced curve on the flare myself or should I say will be later on the one I am currently working on.

I soak handles in Danish oil overmight or 1 to 2 hours if I want the wood to stay pale.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
They both look extremely handsome.I've never considered a leuku but you have got me wondering now where I can fit it into my knife drawer........................
The basswood looks perfect Jorg.

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
@brancho: First of all, that's a great looking handle you're showing here :35:.
For my Leuku I think I'll leave the flare as it is for now, my initial trials with the knife were very promising: It worked fantastic at batonning through dry oak and beech and made short work of clearing 1-2" thick branches :cool:.

Also thanks for your tip to test the linseed oil it on some cork-left overs. I've soaked some "samples" overnight and it looks good (no softening or falling apart of the cork).

@plastic-ninja: Thanks for your kind words :). You should should think about getting one. I've never been a fan of large knives (always preferred a combo of a max. 4" blade and a hatchett) but this Leuku really works great for me so far. Even some whittling was astonishingly comfortable to do with such a big knife.

Cheers
Jörg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Jorg
Glad to be of help with the oil. I test if I am unsure.
You make the handle the shape you want as I have done a couple of leukus that way off being traditional.

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Just a quick update - it worked nicely :D!

I soaked the handle overnight in boilded linseed oil, let it dry for 48 hours and sanded it up to 600 grit. Maybe I'll take some pictures over the weekend if the weather's fine :cool:.

Thanks and cheers
Jörg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE