leuku vs gransfors mini

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
I’ve been reading a lot of positive reports on leukus those who have one really do seem enthused with them .I’m sorely tempted to buy myself one for christmas however since I have a gb mini I can't help thinking if its worth it. How do these two tools compare do they essentially do the same task.

btw merry christmass

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I prefer the mini. Easier to carry out of view and is great for small carving tasks.

the leuku has its admirers on here. With a baton you will be able to chop much larger diameter material than with the GB mini. At the end of the day its down to personal preference.

Reactions: laurens ch

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
My vote would be for the Leuku....but it's a little biased as I've never used a mini....so I suppose I'm not much help lol :D

Leukus are a fine but of kit and I'm different to Wayne in that I'm pretty sure I can carve better with my leuku than I could with a mini.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've used both (i own a 9" knivsmed stromeng lekku) and i can tell you without a shadow of a doubt the lekku is better.
it can do everything the mini can do, however the reverse is not true.
it's better at chopping, makes an excellent draw knife, and carves worderfully.
i made my favorite spoon with my lekku. :D
if i could only take one cutting tool out with me, the lekku is the one i would have.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
uh yeah, what that bloke said!

the leuko is far and away the better all rounder. the mini is a magic little carver, still not as good as a leuko.

cheers, and.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
share all guys "leuko" ?

I am in the market for a new axe anyone any info or links please ?

Cheers :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
dwardo said:
share all guys "leuko" ?

I am in the market for a new axe anyone any info or links please ?

Cheers :)

It's not an axe mate....it's a large (but strangely light) long bladed knife.... doesn't look much but can certainly cut the mustard and has a very strongly proven history of hard use in very cold places :)

They sell them here but they call them by what I believe is their proper name "Saami knife". I have the double Leuku/puukko which I bought from them and am very pleased with.

http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading/tools.htm

As usual I don't work for these people or gain anything from this link (and yes...I do know them :rolleyes: )

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

Reactions: Phil562

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
Well after a bit of thought I decided to go ahead get myself a leuku. Thanks for the replies everyone both here and those over on outdoors magazine. (which seems to be down but I read old jimbo’s reply).

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I'd look at the 9" knivsmed stromeng lekku that one gentleman here owns. The extra power in a chop you get from a 9" knife vs a 7" blade is enough to make a noticeable difference. The extra reach in cutting is also nice

The GB mini is neat, but a tad small for my taste. I'd rather have a GB 'Wildlife Hatchet' that's been decently reprofiled. The GB Wildlife hatchet is fairly close in size and shape to my Norlund Hudson Bay style hatchet, which has to be one of my favorite hatchets of all time.

Excellent - you won't be sorry that you got a leuku!
Now I did get lucky with mine. Being cheap, and somewhat suspicious of handle size and shape on various brands of leuku, I simply got some blades and made my own handles. I liked my first crude attempt so much it's what I've used ever since and I even traded off the other blades. Other than putting on a new hanger, and a proper waxing, the cheap leuku sheath from Brisa has worked well for a few years now, too.

I'd respectfully disagree that a leuku can outchop a properly set up mini. For a while I found my horn golok and golok SX (which are sort of overgrown thicker convexed leuku styled blades) to outchop the mini, but that prompted me to really look at the mini. There were traces of a steep secondary bevels which weren't very apparent to the naked eye, but easily seen with a lens. I removed them and saw the mini become far more effective. Chopping is only feature of a blade, though.

Despite having lots of mini hatchets and goloks which will outchop any leuku, I still find my original Eriksson (Mora) 7" leuku to be very useful as a tool in many situations. I only use the goloks instead if I'm expecting to be trimming up the trails as I go. Lots of other blades of the same size have come and gone to rest in a drawer...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE