Let's see your BBQ setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fellows

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Dorset
As the BBQ season is well and truely in the swing, i thought it would be cool to share the man cookers, get some new ideas going.

We use a tripod etup over my firepit, works a treat, and allows me to cook and regulate temperature ptoperly over a wood flame fire
uploadfromtaptalk1429476368621.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1429476350943.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5690 using Tapatalk 2

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
This is gasser #17, set up for southern style smoker duty.
On the hot side, 1/2 the rock rack was cut away for the cast iron pan of soaked apple wood pieces to sit directly on the burner.
On the cold side are the 1/2 racked of pork side ribs, trimmed and thoroughly rubbed (I have 8 recipes, use 4 that everyone likes.)
Under them is the water dish to catch the fat drippings. Colored from soaking the apple wood for 24 hrs.
The gas is on to show me 275F on an additional thermometer in the cold end that you can't see.

Takes 3 hours, low and slow, to gelatinize the tougher connective tissue.
Can't rush this at all. Most of the fat will be rendered out by then.
I'd use a rub with lots of cumin in it for birds. One with espresso coffee in it for bison.

Big gasser #16 runs with the burner from my lobster pot= 4 racks of ribs, 2 chickens,
6 corn and 6 potato is a good load.

fellows: this is embarassing. I know that I should be cooking over wood/charcoal.
Maybe this is the summer that I come back down to earth.

BBQAs_zpsxbaeuxyk.jpg

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I'm in the process of removing an old shed and returfing my garden, should be finished by Sunday (well not the returfing as I am going for astroturf so am awaiting the last section)...will try to have a pic for then :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My son asked for one for his 5 birthday, there was one going in a second hand shop the same as this:-

_35_zpso4uiuxuf.jpg

for £12. This is it's 3rd summer and is still going relatively well, a little warped from heat and rusty from being a little too optimistic with the weather a couple of times and having to bail out and finish cooking inside when the rain came on.

In our last house we had an aga which was a little too hot to put on over the summer so the BBQ got used pretty much constantly over a few months of nice weather.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you're on a diet and eating less you could try this...

[video=youtube;R66umlzucUQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R66umlzucUQ[/video]

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Two hours have passed with one last thing to do:
a) eat now and hope that the tenderizing is complete (risky)
b) cook another hour and risk the meat drying out/going unacceptably crunchy
c) wrap in foil to cook another hour with little moisture loss ( my usual choice)

Certainly tasted just as good as they look. $20 BBQ in a yard sale, the racks were in excellent shape and the valves turned easily. Replaced the double burner, $20.

BBQDs_zpsndk4ij5i.jpg

fellows

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Dorset
Great stuff guys,

There is a few interesting setups around, from the super simple to the good old fashioned.

Just a heads up, at Lidl there is a oven ready spatchock piripiri marinated chicken for £4.20!! 60 mins in the oven at GM4 and 20 minutes on the barbie is a winner. My son and I devoured the whole thing in one sitting whilst my wife looked on in disgust from behind her potatoe salad.

Lets see your culinary masterpieces as the summer progresses. We can't let Robson win hands down with his slow cooked ribs!!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I admit, here and now, that what I've posted was taught to me, years ago, by my son-in-law who just happens to be from NYorks near Whitby. Egton/Rosedale, in there.
He learned the drill from the Memphis Blues BBQ House restaraunt in Vancouver, BC. They published an extremely good cookbook that tells all.

Go for it. You all do good things and I'll want to barter/trade recipes.
The real winner is a pair of Cornish Game Hens (do you use that name?) and a cumin-heavy rub.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Actually, there is something that I want. For both myself and my brother.
We have been looking and experimenting, trying to find a reasonably thin and persistently crispy deep-fry fish batter recipe.
That's "bush-food" in the concept of a "shore-lunch" on fishing trips north to the Churchill River and beyond. Bread is your plate.
I'm aware of Whitby's reputation for fish & chips. Does that still stand?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually, there is something that I want. For both myself and my brother.
We have been looking and experimenting, trying to find a reasonably thin and persistently crispy deep-fry fish batter recipe.
That's "bush-food" in the concept of a "shore-lunch" on fishing trips north to the Churchill River and beyond. Bread is your plate.
I'm aware of Whitby's reputation for fish & chips. Does that still stand?

For a "thin" batter forget "batter." Just dredge the dry fish in dry cornmeal, let it sit for a couple of minutes and dredge again. It doesn't get any crispier. If that's too plain, add some breadcrumbs to the cornmeal.

The seasoning should be to your taste. I like Cajun but others prefer simple salt.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Will have to dig out some photographs of my fave BBQ. Have had it for a fair few years now and the most efficient and versitile BBQ I've had. Not that common in the UK yet but very popular in it's South African homeland. Cobb®. Not that cheap but very portable (can even lift it when lit). Can be used as a standard BBQ but also makes a great oven for roasts & pizza.
My mate has the new all singing & dancing version, with height extender & all metal body. It comes with wok & pan attatchments too.
Will pop up some pics tomorrow.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
aeb3dedc77fd840cc936b5b230754711.jpg

My friend Bumble has that pretty sweet submurgerd pit and spit system. I was in charge of the hog roast, as there is a reason we call her Bumble and she isn't allowed next to fire! Still trying to talk Steph into letting me have a BBQ pit

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
aeb3dedc77fd840cc936b5b230754711.jpg

My friend Bumble has that pretty sweet submurgerd pit and spit system. I was in charge of the hog roast, as there is a reason we call her Bumble and she isn't allowed next to fire! Still trying to talk Steph into letting me have a BBQ pit

Oh wow! Every bloke should be allowed to have one of those in their garden by law. It's kind've Top Trumps in the BBQ stakes.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE