Let the galaxy burn!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Well, a little bit of it anyway.

I'm going to run a fire safety evening for my Scouts in a few weeks time. One of the demonstrations I want to do is water onto an oil fire.

What cooking oil is the easiest to set light to?

We should have an old tent to demonstrate how quickly they go up. Any other ideas gratefully accepeted.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
its not a case of setting the oil on fire, its the fact that you can get it well above 100 degrees (normalish water boiling point) if you get the oil to 200-300 degrees and throw water at it, the water turns to steam, which atomises the oil, mixing it with air giving you a pretty hefty explosion- I'd deffo give this one a miss, I've done it with friends in my dodgy teenage years and a chip pan of oil easily gives you a good 8-12 foot fireball when you nail it with a super soaker! !

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi
To be on the safe side, why not ask at your local fire station, they may even run a demonstration for you
regards
stu

Yeah , Ditto that. I think you have the best intentions and its an excellent idea to demonstrate the risk.
But ,if it all goes pear shaped...... Doesn't bear thinking about.

Give the locals Pro's a call. The reservists are a keen bunch aswell so they will be interested.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Hi
To be on the safe side, why not ask at your local fire station, they may even run a demonstration for you
regards
stu

The fire brigade always like you to call them before doing something like this rather than half way through when you are running around on fire ! :campfire::yikes::campfire:

Craig..............

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Hrmm, showing the dangers of domestic products catching fire, by setting them on fire.

I had a minor thing for matches when I was a kid. My father decided to curb my apparent interest by giving me a demonstration of what the perils were, by setting alight a shoe polish tin of chemicals in the garden, with me looking out the window.

I learned two things whilst transfixed to the flames. One I could make bigger flames, and two, everything I needed was in the shed.

Sometimes, like everything, you can give out the opposite signals to your intention. Burning tents could quite possibly enter the wrong side of 'cool'.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm an auxilary fire fighter at the oil refinery I work at, and from experience playing with an oil fire a very unpredictable!
Put safety first and either bin the idea or let the pro's do the demo if they're willing, which they should be!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Your local fire brigade should have an educational liaison. My dad was a fireman and they had at least one guy per main station who would act as education office (for want of a better word). They would organise school and group visits to their fire station and organising demonstrations. Get in touch with them, they might be able to lay on quite a demonstration and you could get several scouting groups along together. They would then take on the burden of safety and have educational packs to back it all up. They might be quite interested in the whole camping side as you are Wiltshire way.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Aaah, you're all so caring, thanks!

Good point about letting the fire brigade know. For some reason, whenever we have a decent fire at the farm (where we often meet and where we will be having that session) we seem to get overflown by the Air Ambulance. The farm has a well established bonfire area we will use.

For the oil demo I'll be in my FP overalls, nomex gloves and Gallet helmet. My avatar is from my weekend job, which is what I have the PPE for. I have a cup on a stick made up already.

I haven't looked specifically in POR. Usually it's a case of do what you like, but do it carefully. There aren't many activities ruled out. But I will check.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Maybe have a practice or two before there are lots of people about , but best to have someone to watch your back just in case.

Craig...............

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Hrmm, showing the dangers of domestic products catching fire, by setting them on fire.

I had a minor thing for matches when I was a kid. My father decided to curb my apparent interest by giving me a demonstration of what the perils were, by setting alight a shoe polish tin of chemicals in the garden, with me looking out the window.

I learned two things whilst transfixed to the flames. One I could make bigger flames, and two, everything I needed was in the shed.

Sometimes, like everything, you can give out the opposite signals to your intention. Burning tents could quite possibly enter the wrong side of 'cool'.

bwahahahaha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE