Lesson Learned

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Well folks, today I wandered out on dartmoor and on my way back to the car I noticed some lined paper folded and left in a small hole next to a tree, held there by a rock. Immediatly curious as to what was written on the paper i knelt down and took the rock of, I then opened one page and nothing was written on it, I picked the second up and I saw brown stains, I smelt my fingers....the rest well...I ran home and washed my hands ( sob sob ).

Boooshpig

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
EEEEeeeeeEEEEEeeew! That's just wrong. You have my condolences.

We should make a point from now on, of burning down any trees that have pieces of paper in them. 'better safe than sorry.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
hehe indeed they are rovingarcher....I thought you guys would like the story anyway...or at least my mistakes serve as warnings for others :p Always good to poke things with a stick from distance to begin with !

Booosh

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
Now you should write something like an answer on a piece of paper, do something with it, fold it up so your message shows, and stick it in the same tree.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
I suspect that it is probably not the norm. On a recent walk, we sat down at some picnic tables and put on the kettle.

My two young daughters asked if we could have a look around, so I walked with them for about 20metres. They looked around and said "Daddy, why is there lots of paper on the floor?".

I added 2 + 2, and backtracked rapidly, I didnt really fancy stepping in anything, or letting the girls pick up scraps of paper.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ketchup said:
In Norway it is the rule that you burn any ... paper you leave behind when on nature hike. Is that usual practice among UK-bushcrafters as well?

It certainly should be... But there are a lot of muppets out there. Whatever you do with it, it should never be left lying around on the surface. That's just filthy.

In the past I've tended to bury my used paper, but I read recently that it takes a suprisingly long time to rot down. Burning is the prefered method of disposal.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
:eek: Bushpig

That`s very unfortunate - still it made the rest of us smile.
Aren`t humans cruel - we always laugh at others misfortunes.

At least you can be happy in the knowledge that whoever left it there had to use their own notepad to clean themselves up. Dartmoor can be a harsh place at times.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :yikes: :eek: :eek: :eek:

gregorach said:
In the past I've tended to bury my used paper, but I read recently that it takes a suprisingly long time to rot down. Burning is the prefered method of disposal.

Let's promote burning then, but not under all circumstances! I remember conscientious (Scandinavian?) tourists who put fire to the forest in Corsica by doing just that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE