Les Stroud Bushman Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Dec 22nd, 2012 UPDATE: Wetterlings has informed us that they offer lifetime warranties on all their axes. Wetterlings has no written policy on their site or on the literature that comes with the axes, so if you have a problem, my best guess is to contact the Wetterlings dealer that sold the axe to you.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Pricing and guarantee aside, does anyone know where to get one of these axes? I'm intrigued as I bought the Gransfors/Ray Mears axe and really like it; I now hope to try the Wetterlings/Les Stroud equivalent.

Any help gratefully received!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like the idea of a hardened hammer poll - but the bit looks very square to me - almost like a carpenters axe. The very obtuse angle would also put me off in a general purpose axe

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I like the look of it, for me splitting is a very important camp task which is an area I find the GB SFA is ok but not great. I also like a bit of carving and other stuff which is where the SFA excels. For me in this country I would be tempted to more more towards the splitting ability of this axe which is still good in other areas.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Kind-of a cross between a tomahawk and Gb's outdoor axe.

It looks interesting but two things put me off.
The square (un-natural) shape of the poll and the price.

It seems everyone wants stupid money for an axe these days.

£50-60. Fair enough.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
My litmus test for musical success was 'do you clean your own toilet?' Yes, you're normal, no, you're a rockstar. Or very dirty. For bushcraft thesedays it seems you're a nobody until you have your own axe...

I like the look of these and will reserve judgement as I haven't tried one yet. Looking forward to somebody sourcing one and posting results.

leon-1

Funny when people talk about Wetterlings and Gransfors Bruks when they are owned by the same man, Gabriel Branby. They are allowed to do things under their own steam and as separate entities though.

Personally though I think I would stick with the Snow and Nealey Hudson Bay axe when it comes to this head weight, mine has seen good service and it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money.

I have one axe that I prefer to it though and that's a Warren Axe "Old Faithful" that I re-handled. It's old, has been fitted to a handle that's slightly too long for it and it cut's well above it's paygrade and it's total cost was about £16.

Personal opinion folks, when looking for an axe look for a good "OLD" head on ebay and then go out and buy a handle, make sure that you can get hands on to check the grain and length and then take your time giving new life to an old tool. You'll be surprised by what you can get and by how good they are, just take your time with them and you could have a cheap gem of a woodsmans tool.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
The prices have really shot up in recent years for many of these axes in general. The GB SFA is running close to £70 these days where I paid just over £40 only a few years ago. I don't know how much this Bushman is, I can't find it on a UK site but I can understand it being a bit more as its probably a lower run item and Les will be wanting a slice. I agree in general the axe prices are very high, I don't know if thats demand in recent years or exchange rates or materials costs or all of them. But I would recommend Hultafors/Husqvarna if you can get to a shop and pick a good one, the steel is great but quality is a little more variable.

On hafting your own, great idea and easy to find cheap a boot sales but many on ebay are over priced and not worth the risk.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
New "bushcraft Gurus gear" ?

Vyvyan_Bored.jpg

This is a lot of great vintage axe on sale.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
profile wise, it does look an awful lot like a bog basic fiskars axe. the fiskars are excellent, for mundane chopping and splitting tasks. but that lack of balance makes for a terrible carver on anything bigger than a bowl or spoon. or any application where you're not chopping straight up 'n' down.

95 quid?:eek:

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE