LED Lenser torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
Ive been on the lookout for new lights. I looked at the aldi torch and bought it. 39 mins from a new set of duracells, figure this is gona cost me a fortune to run when away so i took it back and got a refund. On this basis i went to maplins and bought a P7 with a free P3 for 39.99 massive run times two full sets of batteries and good cases The P7 is awesome and the little p3 will come in handy. Iff you want a torch to sit in the car or drawer look at these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Tool...sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322325275&sr=8-3-spell
ive got some, great for emergency's and come with all the batteries, i lost one but who cares at just over 1.50 each.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
39 mins? Blimey. Thats poor and then some.

You did just back up the reason though why I always carry my old school Pelican Mitylite in my bag. The battery life on it is phenomenal, and thats not something I can say about modern LED torches.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Ive been on the lookout for new lights. I looked at the aldi torch and bought it. 39 mins from a new set of duracells...

That's about what I'd expect from my experience of two of these torches. I don't find it a problem as I don't use them a lot and I use rechargeables (which don't even last half an hour).

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The Lenser p7 comes with 4 AAA alkaline batteries, in the torch, and another 4 spare.

A standard set of AAA batteries last for 130 hours

T

Tedd

Olight SR90 - used professionally instead of the old Dragon search light.

56b1bc62-536e-b2b4.jpg

The mother of all torches.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
This one, I think. I might just pick one up myself!

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_21969.htm

That looks absolutely fantastic for that price.

Are they available at all Aldi's?
Might ask the old gal to pick one up for me.

Olight SR90 - used professionally instead of the old Dragon search light.

56b1bc62-536e-b2b4.jpg

The mother of all torches.

Was really really tempted by the SR90, loved the quality and thought behind it, from the excellent case through to the strap.

Ended up being disappointed with the beam though, both the tint and the beam spot.

Compared side by side with the TK70, the TK70 gave a more neutral tint brining out the colours better, plus although it lost a bit in throw compared to the SR90 i found the beam more useful on the TK70.
That and the fact that it used a battery pack rather than cells really clinched it for me, as i always take spare cells with me when out camping.
Sure i could buy a spare for the SR90 but you can find D cells at pretty much any petrol station to corner shop.

Was a really close call though as the quality of the SR90 and the thought behind the design makes the TK70 seem like a toy.

Cheers
Mark

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
my reckoning when i bought the P7 was that 39.99 gets you a good torch and a max of 260 hrs of light in the package. The aldi torch 11.99 cheap £2 a pack batts 30 mins £4 an hour X 260 £1040 thats if it lasted that long. Even if you use recharable batts it cost about 10p to charge a batt thats still 80p an hour £208 for 260 hrs so i reckon the p7 is a bargain and then you still get the p3 as a bonus.

T

Tedd

Have to agree with you there Mark on the batteries and beam tint. The SR90 is an amazing thrower... take mine out every other night at the moment.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
how do you find the P7 then Baggy ?

I am very, very pleased with it. I took the dog out to the wood at dusk and stayed until the light had gone. I could follow the dog easily as she came and went by using my thumb to zoom it. My garden is over 150ft and the torch easily reaches the end and on to the horses in the big field beyond.
Build quality feels good and full power has had the neighbours asking what I was using. Batteries are lasting very well.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I purchased mine the other day too, took it over the local park to meet my daughter before she cuts through on her there, on her way home. I was amazed at how powerful the P7 is.
It appeared the beam was hitting what ever you aimed it at, except where light pollution was effecting it. I still cant believe all that from a few AAA batteries.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
my reckoning when i bought the P7 was that 39.99 gets you a good torch and a max of 260 hrs of light in the package. The aldi torch 11.99 cheap £2 a pack batts 30 mins £4 an hour X 260 £1040 thats if it lasted that long. Even if you use recharable batts it cost about 10p to charge a batt thats still 80p an hour £208 for 260 hrs so i reckon the p7 is a bargain and then you still get the p3 as a bonus.

My aldi isn't doing that bad with its batteries at minute. At your quoted 2 quid batteries.....for two quid you get a dozen batteries at some cheap shops and mine is doing fine at moment with supplied ones. I'll be trying Duracell next time.
Main thing is if I were to lose it then its 3 pints on a teatime. If I lost a lender it's best part of a days wage gone. Don't get me wrong....I might buy a lenser for back packing/bug out bag....but for occasional use then I'm happy with the aldi .

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My aldi isn't doing that bad with its batteries at minute. At your quoted 2 quid batteries.....for two quid you get a dozen batteries at some cheap shops and mine is doing fine at moment with supplied ones. I'll be trying Duracell next time.
Main thing is if I were to lose it then its 3 pints on a teatime. If I lost a lender it's best part of a days wage gone. Don't get me wrong....I might buy a lenser for back packing/bug out bag....but for occasional use then I'm happy with the aldi .

The Aldi torch instructions actually quote a 10 hr battery life on max, and 14 hr on low - so if 30mins is all that we can get from it then that's a significant discrepancy.

M

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
So....I succumbed an bought the p7 p3 set from local shop . First impression....against aldi first impression....sh*te ! Heavier...harder to hold in my mouth ,, no easier to operate and throws more waste when in spot mode. Yes the case is sturdier and it has more potential as a defense tool. My Aldo is still doing well on its supplied batteries. Lets be honest....how often would you have such a torch constantly on ? Or more to the point need it constantly on. If you were away for a week you would be hard pushed to need more than ten hours burn time. I wish I'd bought the h7 + p3 set now instead of the p7. My Aldo is at work so I'll compare the spot/flood tomorrow.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I popped into my local DIY shop today and they have some L7 rrp £30 their price £20, I cost me nothing, in fact I walked out with the L7 and a 5m extension cable, all free. I get points on my purchases and traded them in today.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Put new lender supplied batteries in my aldi....it was better quality light....less light pollution in spot mode. Easier and more comfortable to use than the lenser. Added bonus of SOS mode...added bonus of it standing on. Its end
Easier to grip in my mouth , better color clarity on the fields and wood......yeah it has shorter battery life....but hey ho....what is it to carry a trio of extra batteries. Ill give the lenser it's due...the case is for life !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE