Leaving kindling, tinder etc at remote campsites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
I realise this practice isn't really needed in Britain but a fter reading shewies post about the cairngorms i got thinking about when i'm there in the middle of december when conditions are horendous i always leave some chopped firewood, a bag with at least 10 feathersticks, whatever tinder is near(usually birchbark) and a box of matches( i use the spots that are most use) because at that time of year it's entirely possible someone could be in trouble.

Obviously in most of britain this isn't needed but a lot of us travel so it's relevant.

I lived in Canada and a lot of the wilderness cabins it is code of practice to leave feathersticks tinder and enough split wood to allow anyone the ability to burn anything they can get, theres sometimes an axe, bowsaw and knife there for people to use and sharpening stones as your supposed to sharpen the tools when you leave.

However in a few cabins in Canada nothing was left and the tools were stolen, i used to leave my axe and bowsaw, plus the firewood.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Do folks still do this?

I realise that i'm old and times change and most cabins don't have tools but i firmly believe there should be.

I was taught by my grandad to always leave firewood in these cabins and to always oil and maintain the tools but this practice is dying out.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Yep,

I ensure the fire is layed correctly and thee is a bit of fire wood ready to get it going if needed and the the hut is clean and tidy...

IMG_0414.jpg

As you say sadly it's a dying practice...

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Your a good woodsman imho, i like to leave the stove so that whoever enters next needes only to put a match to it for a fire, not only is this handy for those who are struggling but is good for the woodsman who has been on the trail all day, as with all of us gets tired and it becomes a chore to gather firewood but it's not so bad after a warm sleep a good woodsman will leace a decent pile.

Don't mean to offend the woman but a funny story, when i was wee(always sounds bad lol) i asked my grandad what to call woman who enjoy go to the wood and he replied in an honest way like folk used to with "a woodsmans wife" not acceptable now but he didn't mean offense.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've only ever poked my head in a handful of bothies but they've usually got some fuel ready for a fire, I think in the established areas where there's a chance somebody might actually need it, there probably is a fire ready to go, bits of food and pans for boiling too.

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
The bothie that i have been in most recently had lots of firewood, and an axe. I suspect that one of the reasons for this is that some vandals that had stayed there previously had torn down the wooden walls to burn.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
At a well used campsite (an island that paddlers frequent) recently my friend and I did not use nearly as much firewood that we had guessed at for the night and were left with a decent log pile in the morning.

Perhaps more out of not wanting our chopping and sawing to go to waste than an emergency provision for the next campers we stashed the logs off the ground so they wouldn't rot. At least if someone sets up late in the day they'll have enough to get a fire going quickly.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
When I stay in a bothy I always make the point of tidying, usually takes less than half an hour and turns it into a home.

I also like to leave the fire ready to go and matches sticking out the box, head it's easier to use your mouth in the cold, this will probably never happen in Scotland but I feel it's a good habit to have.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
When I stay in a bothy I always make the point of tidying, usually takes less than half an hour and turns it into a home.

I also like to leave the fire ready to go and matches sticking out the box, head it's easier to use your mouth in the cold, this will probably never happen in Scotland but I feel it's a good habit to have.

Head up the cairngorms in December and you'll see it's necessary.

South of fife there isn't real much point( or bothies) but it's good to see that some folks are following one of the laws of the woodsman as we were taught, though these laws are unheard of now.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
It's basic etiquette though and of course the woodsman code.

The last thing I want to do when I've walked miles to the bothy is go and gather and split wood and tidy up but after a good nights kip it's the least you can do to say thank you. That's my way of paying for effectively a hotel with some of the best scenery you will ever get.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE