Leather Stitching Pony

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

I'm in the middle of making a stitching pony and have some questions...

Which is better for use when sitting one a chair - L-shape or T-shape? (Would the T-shape start to affect circulation in the legs after a while?)

I have some 1mm tanned leather (ie, shiny but non-greasy on one side) to use on the jaws - is shiny on the outside okay, or would it be better with the rough side outwards? I'm wondering if gripping the work with the shiny side might result in slippage.

What glue to use for the leather jaw protectors? I currently have a tube of Bostik leather adhesive (which I've never used) and a bottle of Evo-Stick weatherproof wood glue.

N

Nomad

Thanks all. I went with a T-shape. I've still to add the leather jaw covering and give it a coating of linseed oil, but here it is so far...

attachment.php

Total height is 325mm (just under 13"). The jaws are a bit under 50mm wide and made out of 18mm birch ply, thinned down to 8mm for most of its length on the bandsaw. The base is 6mm ply with plenty of rounding on the corners and edges - gave it a quick try and it feels fine. The natural gap when not clamped is 12mm, which will go down to 10mm when the leather is added.

N

Nomad

I'll consider a cam lock if I ever get fast enough to justify it.

Now finished - leather added and a goodly wipe of linseed oil. I used the Bostik leather adhesive, which was pretty pongy but seems to have worked (apply to both surfaces and join when tacky). I roughened the tanned side of the leather first.

Total cost: about 2 quid.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I built mine from plans in an old book on farm tools published about 1912. Found it online on Google Books. If I can remember, I will dig the article up...buried in the shop somewhere. I also use a regular long clam for some work whilst standing.
Woody

N

Nomad

Looks very nice Woody. I like the foot tensioning thingy - does it lock under a peg on the far side?

Is the beeswax 100%, or is it cut with something to make it a bit softer?

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
There is a locking ratchet on the far side. It will lock up as tight as you want. The 'wax' is actually shoemakers code, a mixture of pine rosin, and beeswax. It holds the thread tighter, and is more rot resistant. The book my plans came from is titled 'Farm Woodwork' and I found it on Google Books. I printed out only the pages I needed, so the pages I have do not include author, etc., but should be easily found. The Stitch Horse is on pages 98 to 104. As drawn, it is a right hand horse, but can be easily made for a left hander. I have made both right, and left .
Woody

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
I like my stitching ponies to go all the way to the ground, not get sat on as the short ones must. Best one I ever made was from two barrel staves. They had a nice curvature, the widest point being right where my knees could squeeze the best. Had a tolkeinesque look to the thing, if I do say so myself!

OWR, that's a mighty fine model you're sporting. I like the locking mechanism and might have to steel that idea. Very well-built from the looks of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE