Leather laces....?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Anyone else tried using leather boot laces and had trouble with the knots comming undone...?
Can someone please recommend me a good knot to use...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
singteck said:
I use the same knot but I pull it extra tight. When it feels like it's going to break, that is just enough. :D

singteck
I usually tie a reef knot rather than a bow, and pull them really tight, but they still keep comming loose after a while...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shoes or boots?
If it's shoes/trainers I find it better to use leather thonging to be honest.
I find if I tie them like kids do, the two loops crossed over method, it seems to hold better than the pull one end through method.

Cheers,
Toddy

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Jon Pickett said:
Anyone else tried using leather boot laces and had trouble with the knots comming undone...?
Can someone please recommend me a good knot to use...

You could try Ian's secure knot. It seems to be a matter of pushing the righthand loop through the middle after the lefthand loop. Known as a double slip knot but doesn't slip at all.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers guys....I used to have boots with leather laces, but ended up throwing them away, because they wouldn't hold and ended up breaking. My slippers (moccosin type) have leather laces, and although they are slip on, the laces come undone on them a lot, no matter how hard I pull the knot tight.
Thanks for the link Risby, I will try that.....

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
We used leather laces when in the army. We knotted one end, then threaded all the way up the boot. Loop the end AROUND the boot (you've only got one...), loop under at the eyehole, then back around the boot the other way and loop under again, then fold the end over and tuck under the two strips of lace (thong), leaving a small length to enable "quick release".
This NEVER came undone at an inappropriate moment.
Hope this was clearer than mud. If not, ask another pre-1990's squaddie..!!! :rolleyes: :lmao:

boots12

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2006
West Yorkshire
I totaly agree with cairodel about wraping the laces around the top of the boots, when we changed over to modern laces i still wraped the lace around the top and tie off in a bow trying to get the bow at the back as when you are walking it does not get brushed against brush/grass and the like, i have heard of covering the lace with tape

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cairodel said:
We used leather laces when in the army. We knotted one end, then threaded all the way up the boot. Loop the end AROUND the boot (you've only got one...), loop under at the eyehole, then back around the boot the other way and loop under again, then fold the end over and tuck under the two strips of lace (thong), leaving a small length to enable "quick release".
This NEVER came undone at an inappropriate moment.
Hope this was clearer than mud. If not, ask another pre-1990's squaddie..!!! :rolleyes: :lmao:
Del,
Thats the exact method I still use, though now its round 200cm things from an outdoor shop. I can't get on with leather laces, there's no indication as to when they're going to snap - at least with nylon cord laces you still have the inner if the outer gives way. I'd like to find 200cm or longer flat laces though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Ogri the trog said:
Del,
Thats the exact method I still use, though now its round 200cm things from an outdoor shop. I can't get on with leather laces, there's no indication as to when they're going to snap - at least with nylon cord laces you still have the inner if the outer gives way. I'd like to find 200cm or longer flat laces though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Have you tried football boot laces?

I will have a look in my mainly useless but maybe useful someday box, if I have some I can send them to you.

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE