Leather Jackets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
Was rooting through a charity shop for a cheap jacket to ruin when i came across some leather ones and it occured to me that i didnt have a clue about their practicality.

I have no real intention of buying one just thought it'd make an interesting thread....

So yeh; are they breathable? tough? practical? etc.

Seems like they might not be 'too' bad as our ancestors wore skins for some large amount of years.

I don't expect to have discovered 'THE' bushcraft jacket or anything; simply adding to the encyclopedia we have here.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wear a lot of fur and hide. Mostly cowhide is reserved for boots, belts and sheaths, but I wear sheepskin (gilet & mountain cap), Beaver (gilet), Rabbit (hat) etc. Theres certainly a place for hide and hair.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is it breathable? Yep. Is it durable? Tough? Depends on whether its good leather or not and what type animal. Like BR said the tougher leathers (cowhide, buffalo hide, etc.) are used for boots so what more can I say. Coats are made of sheepskin, pigskin, goatskin, horsehide and if you can get it, buckskin. They're usually pretty tough. Think of it this way, there's a reason that cowboys and farriers wore leather chaps; bikers like leather clothing; workmen wear leather gloves and ancient warriors wore leather armor. It's not about the fashion, it's about the protection.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Fjallraven (however that is spelt!) used to make a fantastic leather shooting/outdoor coat, a mate of mine had one back in the early '90s. At the time I think they were £300-£400 and, to me, that may as well have been £3-4 million! I keep looking on eblag for one but no sign yet. I have a hankering for a leather gilet, my father had one of the old dispatch riders ones. I use leather fronted trousers and find them very good (no Village People jokes please, I've heard them all!). Glyn.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its heavy stuff - both fur and leather generally. Not good for "backpacking" but great for working on the land or in the woods when its cold

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Biker leather jeans are very tough, breathable and can be pretty waterproof. Also totally windproof and pretty warm. Still use mine in the winter alot even though not ridden bike for three years.... Only downer is weight and no good when hot weather.

Been after a leather/sheepskin gillet for a while to use in winter.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
In my "biking" days I was never without my leather jacket. I always figured there was a good reason the humans have worn skins for millenia. The downside for me was if it got too wet and there was not opportunity to dry it out, then it got smelly and nasty to the touch. I used to used saddlesoap from my local saddlery to keep it supple and waterproof. Best think about leather is it doesn't rustle and frighten away the wildlife.........

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
R. Lewis: I visited 'skye skins' a week ago and they were doing pretty hefty bin bags of sheepskin offcuts for £4; good size pieces n all; if you can find a sheepskin shop near you, it might be worth making your own? Skye skins is on the isle of skye though... probably pay in fuel what you save.

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
There are a few people doing replicas of the old British Army leather jerkins. Here's one off the top of Google:

http://www.philipmoss.biz/jerkins/history.html

Silvermans is offering them quite a lot cheaper, and saying shamefacedly that the maker they used put the buttons on the wrong side. LOL

I have fancied one in the past, though never actually bought one. I think jerkins as garments are a good idea—sort of like a waistcoat, but goes over the jacket/coat. You can add something like that for a bit of extra warmth while leaving your arms freer.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've seen a few of these jerkins knocking around market stalls and have been tempted to buy. Leather outer with a wool lining. What put me off ultimately was the lack of pockets on the ones I saw, I decided it would be one of those things that seemed like a good idea but that I would never wear.

I'd be happy to be persuaded otherwise by jerkin owners!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've seen a few of these jerkins knocking around market stalls and have been tempted to buy. Leather outer with a wool lining. What put me off ultimately was the lack of pockets on the ones I saw, I decided it would be one of those things that seemed like a good idea but that I would never wear.

I'd be happy to be persuaded otherwise by jerkin owners!!

I had mine made up - sheepskin for softness and warmth, cowhide pockets for strength!

Jerkin by British Red, on Flickr

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE