Leather belt pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
hi just a quick note i am trying to purchase a leather belt pouch (or have one made) Approx 6 inch across 4-5 deep and 3-4 width with flap fasting with antler? any ideas waterproof as much as leather can be to hold bits and pieces ie tinder flint and steel inscet repelent?

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
When you get one, try waterproofing it with Nikwax aqueous wax or Zamberlan Hydrobloc - both are excellent leatherproofing products designed for boot, but they work really well on any smooth leather.

Try Nikwax Nubuck & Suede for any 'roughout' leather.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I've been using a belt pouch that sounds exactly like what your after for months, as anyone who saw me at the meet up will remember- can't post a picture just now but check out the original at http://www.vikingcrafts.co.uk/belts_and_pouches.htm -I use L6 as my 'possibles' pouch and it is waterproof enough to keep my kit dry in heavy rain.- worth ordering the drawstring pouchs at the same time, these are great for firesteels and tinder. Blue sky, Jim. :wink:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
maybe something like this would be more up your street

possibles002.jpg

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
tomtom said:
Bison (click on Pouches & Fire Steels) do one.. its £65 quid though so little on the steep side.. but a beautiful product!
£65 is really steep! I really can't see why it needs to be so pricey ...

Such is life ...

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Adi007 said:

Such is life ...
Me neither! :shock: Well, I guess it's practical vs. beautiful... :roll: I know what counts for me.

leon-1

Adi007 said:

Such is life ...

Yep, I agree, Neil1 has the right idea, he also mentioned using Mars oil on it for waterproofing, in the long term this will probably stiffen a pouch a little. I have used it on hiking boots before now and it is very good though.

If you don't like green then dye it, you can get a number of dyes from here amongst other places :wave:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I do not have one but have seen the pouches made by Roger at Bison, if you take into account the number of hours it takes to make the pouch and compare that to the hourly rate you are paid it's not expensive. I got my pouch from Gary at Bearclaw, buitiful, if it dos'nt last 10 years I'll be disappointed, again from that point of view, not expensive. Very often you get what you pay for and quality materials and workmanship cost that little bit more but are often worth it in the long run.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
steve a said:
I do not have one but have seen the pouches made by Roger at Bison, if you take into account the number of hours it takes to make the pouch and compare that to the hourly rate you are paid it's not expensive. I got my pouch from Gary at Bearclaw, buitiful, if it dos'nt last 10 years I'll be disappointed, again from that point of view, not expensive. Very often you get what you pay for and quality materials and workmanship cost that little bit more but are often worth it in the long run.
Well said Steve :biggthump
I haven't seen these pouches in real life (Gary will have to show me sometime :eek:): ), but agree with you completely.
Considering the materials and everything involved in making these pouches (leather, dye, thread, antler / bone or brass stud and tools to make the pouch etc... and hours of work) then this is not such a steep price at all.
A good quality leather specially selected for perfect suitability for such a project would be something like £ 19,- (Noggin prices, but good leather is expensive no matter where you buy it), that is IF the leathershop will allow you to buy only a small piece (usually you will have to buy at least a "hechte", "croupon", "forpart" or "1/2 side" which is standard measurements for leather. This would get the price up to at least £ 35 of the cheapest grade and therefore perhaps not the best quality leather for such a product), then thread, dye, oil / leather grease / wax, brass stud (or alternatives) would add another £ 7 (at least) + you have to buy the tools. Materials alone would then be at least £27,-, and only if you walk into the shop and buy the stuff yourself. Postage would increase the price, and if you do not have appropriate tools you'll have to buy that as well. A professional would also have to deduct something for writing off his investments in tools, workshop, heating and use of electricity in the workshop etc, not to mention VAT and perhaps even other taxes. All in all it leaves him with very little left as a salary in comparison to the time spent actually making the product. I would say that the price charged is a right price for both the craftsman and the buyer.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'm not familiar with Rogers pouches, I saw one once and it looked ok if I remember, however the one pictured by me is slightly smaller than those but 100% hand made (as are rogers I think) and it is the time the guy spends making them that you need to take into account.

Wet formed and oiled leather of a quality grain takes a long time to prepare. I believe each pouch is made in days not hours and when you compare what a craftsman charges for his time and effort in producing a product which will last a long time, be asthetically pleasing and look the part it pales into insignificance next to what a some 'PROFFESSIONAL TYPES' charge.

Personally I like a good leather belt pouch and have tried many finally settling for the one above. However the one I gave to James D i made myself and this is probably a very good excerise for those who want a possibles pouch but dont want to pay for one and as a bonus if you make one yourself you can match it to your belt and sheath.

And Gerd i'll show you mine if you show me yours! :nana:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive got a bison possibles pouch and its a lovely thing he made me it as a special out of oak tanned leather itll last me a life time! very well made, ill get a piccie up for your perusal ASAP :wink:

jakunen

Native
As someone has has worked with leather, and who also makes jewellery, I can also endorse the fact that most of what you're paying with hand crafted kit is the craftsman or artisans time and not just the actual cost value of the item.

Every handcrafted item is unique and made with care and attention, even if the same former or whatever is used to shape it. You're paying for the person's love of their craft and the years of acquiring their skills.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Gary said:
...Gerd i'll show you mine if you show me yours! :nana:
:yikes: :naughty: ..... I better get busy then, as the one I have now is not something that i would be proud to show.

Gary said:
...Wet formed and oiled leather of a quality grain takes a long time to prepare. I believe each pouch is made in days not hours and when you compare what a craftsman charges for his time and effort in producing a product which will last a long time, be asthetically pleasing and look the part it pales into insignificance next to what a some 'PROFFESSIONAL TYPES' charge...
Yep, the actual stitching will only take an hour or so depending on the size and type of stitching of cause. The wet forming is another story though. It will take a couple of days to first form, and then dry completely. It's the same thing with a knifesheath - typically I will work on a single sheath for almost a full day, and then leave it at least for 24 hours, preferably even more, to dry afterwards.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
jakunen said:
As someone has has worked with leather, and who also makes jewellery, I can also endorse the fact that most of what you're paying with hand crafted kit is the craftsman or artisans time and not just the actual cost value of the item.

Every handcrafted item is unique and made with care and attention, even if the same former or whatever is used to shape it. You're paying for the person's love of their craft and the years of acquiring their skills.
:You_Rock_

jakunen

Native
Cheers Gerd.

(I'm actually just trying to justify my own prices.:wink: )
No, really, I just hate it when people don't appreciate the effort you have to put in to create something, be it a leather pouch, a solid silver pendant, a piece of furniture, ...

Us artisans take pride in what we make and charging a fair price reflects that pride.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE