Learning The Hard Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ishmael

May 4, 2009
Somewhere They Can't Find Me
A couple of years ago I bought an axe. I have it on my desk now as I write. I can still see the blood stains on the leather pouch.

How I admired that axe. It possessed a strange primitive beauty – the curve of the handle; the rugged casting of the head; the menacing sharpness of the cutting edge. I used to sit and look at it as if it were a work of art; a piece of sculpture rather than just a primitive tool. I oiled the handle. I smothered Vaseline on the head. I made a leather pouch with a belt loop. The only thing that I didn’t do was to take the trouble to learn how to use it.

A year or so ago I was on a three-day canoe trip. The second day was windy, and though I had the breeze in my back, it was a hard paddle down the channel. In mid-afternoon, I came ashore for a break on a beach beneath the shady bower of a little oak wood. Though the tide was beginning to flood and there were still at least six more hours of daylight, I decided to make this my second night’s camp.

After a cup of tea and a bar of chocolate, I unloaded all the kit from the canoe and then set about the task of gathering and chopping firewood. Myself, I prefer a small fire, rather than a huge council fire that can be seen from space, so I only needed small logs. The little copse was strewn with downwood and it did not take long to gather a fair-sized pile.

From the beginning, I had been impressed with the sharpness of the axe and I appreciated how dangerous it could be, so I put on a pair of leather gardening gloves before I began to split the logs. The chopping block I was using was on old chain-sawn piece of birch that I had found lying amid the bracken behind the trees. It did not sit very steadily on the ground and as I brought the first log and the axe down together, the chopping block tipped up and the axe head struck the first knuckle of my left hand.

I did not feel a thing, but the nasty gash in my glove and the ugly crimson stain that was beginning to bloom on the grey leather told me that I had suffered some serious mischief. I took off the glove and saw a deep cut in my hand, almost down to the bone.

I knew at once that a trip to hospital was needed, so I found the largest wound dressing in my first aid kit, slapped it over the cut, which was now dripping blood all over the place, secured it with insulating tape and then put my glove back on and set about reloading the canoe.

Luckily, I had chosen a campsite only half a mile from civilisation. Luckily, the tide was in. Unluckily, the wind was even stronger now and rows of white-capped waves were being driven down the channel.

It was a difficult slog across that little channel. The sea was so rough that under normal circumstances I would not have considered venturing out onto it. Because of the direction of the wind and current, I should have paddled on the starboard side, but I could only paddle on the port side as I could not grip the paddle handle with my injured hand. Fortunately, my hand was numbed by the shock of the wound so it did not hurt all that much, which was just as well because the roughness of the sea demanded my full attention.

I was soaking wet and the canoe had shipped a fair amount of water by the time I reached the shore. I dragged the canoe up the beach, then abandoned it and set off for home on foot.

I received some very queer looks on my two-mile walk home. For one thing, there was my odd-looking canoeing attire. For another, I was wearing gloves on a hot summer’s day, one of which was now a soggy pulp soaked in blood. Two hours later though, I was in casualty being sewn back together.

Later, my wife chastised me by saying that I had learned my lesson the hard way – next time I should make sure I took a mobile phone with me. No, I told her, next time I should make sure I knew how to use an axe.

Ishmael

May 4, 2009
Somewhere They Can't Find Me
Fortunately, the cut was completely healed after a couple of weeks. It was my own stupid fault. I was holding the log in my left hand and the axe in my right. The axe head was resting against the top of the log as I raised them and brought them down together onto the chopping block. Like an idiot, I didn't get my left hand out of the way in time as the logged slipped off the chopping block.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ouch!
Yup - a lesson learned the hard way!
I hope the blood did not stain your canoe or paddle!
I tend to learn from mistakes too - but over the years I have come to realise that learning from other peoples mistakes is less painful:)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Good to hear it was a positive outcome. That is a hard lesson to learn. As one who almost always travels alone in the outdoors, I've learned over the years to take extra precautions, especially when using sharp tools. Cut a femoral artery and it's a race with the grim reaper. Knowing your tools and learning to use them before you set off alone in wild country is about as important lesson as you can learn. This is especially true of an axe. And even experienced woodsmen can get careless and lose a toe. Never let yourself get careless. Learning patience is the key.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't worry too much about it, you're not the first person to go out and buy an axe thinking it will be a simple tool to use. Without being shown how to use one correctly, you are straight away putting yourself at a disadvantage and potentially in danger. Not using one regularly can have a similar effect, I haven't used mine in a while and I've found my aim isn't quite as true as it once was. I'm not talking wildly off, but when splitting small rounds I am often taking off the side as opposed to splitting it down the centre. Practise will see you right and getting somebody to show you the safe way to use it is a must IMO.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Thats accidents for you. Never know when or how they will happen, and the most experienced of us can become victims.

Not bushcraft related, and after being a chippy in the trade for over 10 years. Last year whilst doing some carpentry work I stabbed myself in the knee with a chisel which I had just sharpened. Cut through trousers and skin with ease. After some super glue and iodine at the hospital all was mended. Apart from being told off by the nurse and feeling like a prat, it reminded me again how we are all vulnerable.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
My brother in law builds cabinets for the interior of luxury aircraft, a trade he is very, very good at and has been doing now for twenty years.

He spends around 12 hours six days out of seven handling very sharp tools and using them to cut and slice. A few months ago he was out in the garden cutting back some ivy. He grabbed the knife I had bought him for Christmas, over extended his arm, lost concentration, loosened his grip, slipped and watched the knife slice through the tendons on his primary hand. Naturally it was my fault.

He's ok now , but if it can happen to him....

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I have done something similar, I was trimming the branches of an oak I had just felled, with my favourite ax. I cut straight through a 3" branch and then felt the ax hit my boot.
Not think much of it I proceeded to carry on. About 5 minuets later the foot was starting to sting, so I looked down .
The boot was red and blood was flowing out of a slice in my good work boots. So I hobbled back up to the house, took the boot off and proceeded to walk through the house to the bathroom to fix it up.
When I reached the bathroom I heard an almighty scream, the missus had seen the bloody footprints through the house.
Then I decided maybe I had better go to the Doc's to get it checked out.
The Doc said I was lucky he was able to stitch the veins up and that I had missed the tendons in the foot.
Mind you he wasn't worried about the chip I had put in the bone.
I still can't stretch the toes in that foot properly and it has healed the best it can by now.
But I was lucky

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Ouch, glad to hear you're OK. If the little voice in your head says "this isn't the right thing to do" then it's time to listen - I ignored it a few years ago when putting in fence posts with a post rammer, which resulted in a little ride to A&E in the back of an ambulance. The little voice is always right...

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
I was recently in the woods and decided to go off and chop some firewood and grabbed the axe by it's handle and proceeded to walk off. Unfortunately I hadn't put the leather sheath back onto it as I decided that I would be careful with it as I know how sharp it is, my dog on the other hand is as big an idiot as all dogs are and tried to run past me and ended up with a cut above his eye right down to his skull, it was the worst I'd ever felt as I thought I'd done serious damage. My friend put some pressure on it while I decided the fastest way to get out the woods and to the vet but within less than a minute he took the dressing off and it had already started to knit together, as I type this the last of the scab has dropped off tonight and it never started bleeding again, despite the fact he is constantly moving that part as it is where his eyebrow would be. I learned a valuable lesson and luckily caused my dog no more than a fright as he never even scratched it once. They really are hard animals, we reckon it's because they would naturally fight over food and territory and a cut above the eye could be fatal if it bled like a human.

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
Although never paid to do it I have used an axe a fair bit in my life.
I grew up on a sheep and wheat farm. and had wood fired heaters for last 8 years.After 15 years up North ( Warmer climes)
I went to support a piece of pine with my thumb so I could split it with my small Fiskars spliter for kindling. Just as it contacted I thought that wasn't good. I took that very outer couple layers of skin from the end of my thumb. If it had hit it was sharp ( check the avatar) and it has the weight to go straight through)
Hmm that was close.
When I tried carving a spoon ( wood was way to hard) I found it amazing how many times I almost went to the darkside and cut towards myself.
Carl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE