lavvu baker tent tipi recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
well swmbo has decided she wants to go down the route of the title.

she likes the helesport varanger camp type as we like the idea of a porch , but not the price when youve finished with the inner and ground. even though tamarak seem to do a good deal
. shes not as yet struck with the bergans as there doesnt seem to be an inner available ?

she also like the baker ? type tents ? like the frontier/railroad camp types .

ive searched a bit but with not many conclusions....

it ideally needs to be stove friendly and have enough room for 3-4 for our kit and dog.

so what have you got or seen that could fit the bill ?

ideally less than £500 .
cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Have you considered a bell tent Chiseller?

They're big, easy to get up and plenty of room for people, stoves and friendly dogs :D

£500 should get you a brand new 4m version... I'll double check it, but I'm sure our 5m was £760 and the 4m was £490.

Plus you can add an awning for your cooking and chilling out area.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
With the inner sleeping bit as well, cracking deal :). That and a Colman event shelter, all for under 500 quid and you've a fantastic set up :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Exactly... and the attachments for a stove are relatively cheap as well... still umming and arring about attaching one to ours.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
cheers gents....where do you get the stove adapter kit....?

we like how the helesport opens and closes around the top ....do these have the same sort of adjustability?
*gone to google it *

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
They don't need adjusting... they are for air flow and are manufactured like that... but the stove adapter... trying to find the link now. Bet someone else beats me to it.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
not liking the look of cutting the wall or being tied into an expensive stove / flue set up....

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My argument about cutting the hole in the side has nowt to do with the tent to be honest, it is that my experience of wood burners is that the heat comes from the flue pipe.... I would prefer a roof exiting flue so the majority of the pipe stays in the tent... then I'd be happy to cut a hole knowing that I'm getting maximum heat for my investment.

Cost wise, I've paid roughly the same for a fixed version in my house (minus the alterations) so the cost is reasonable given it will keep you warm in the coldest of winters (where ever you camp).

Seems weird that the cost of the tent and inner is less than the heating system and tank though.. I grant you. But its about comfort.

Sure there are cheaper options available though Chiseller... just I'm not aware of them right now.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
not liking the look of cutting the wall or being tied into an expensive stove / flue set up....

Vent through the roof. When you don't want a stove we've found a 250ml pop bottle fits the Frontier gasket exactly for a waterproof fit. It's very daunting but easy enough.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
thanks for all the suggestions...still searching before we make our minds up.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've slept in lavvus in the Swedish Arctic and used to own one that I lived in for close to a year in Scotland.

The lavvu handles strong winds and harsh weather very well, I'm not sure a baker tent would manage as well, but then again others may have experience of them doing so.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE