Landrover life expectancy ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi folks - Just wondered what the life expectancy of a landrover is ? ie -Peugeot 205s are good for 135k miles, by then there is somuch wrong with em that they aren't worth fixing,VW Passats 250K, Merc diesel 500K, Saab 9000 250K ;) .....etc.
I? got offered a LR 130 TDI (dunno if it was 200 or 300) crew cab the other day, 10 months MOT, and 140K on the clock. Which seemed pretty high to me. But then would all the bits that are going to have dropped off by then ? or would it be that i'd buy it, then spend the rest of my days replacing bits until it was new vehicle !
Just wondered what your thoughts were ?

I can't really afford it right now, but if I put the MG back together and get shot of that...., nor do I have a use for it as such, unles i can get permission to go logging in the local woods...I'll blame my parents for buying me tonka toys as a kid :D

Cheers
Rich

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My '96 300TDi Disco has done well over 150k miles and is still running as sweet as a sweet thing.
The '76 Series 3 has only done about 80k miles, but mostly harder work and is also still runing nicely. I've heard of plenty of TDi's with 250-300k miles on them.
As Eds said keep on top of the oil changes and mantenance - true for any 4x4.

Dave

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have heard of series 1 land rovers being used in 3rd world countrys , they generaly get converted into busses or similar and will plod on for ever (near enough).
Pumbaa

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
My V8's done 120K and that's only just run in ;)
130's are LONG though. make sure you really need something that long or you'll soon be wishing for a smaller turning circle. It's nearly 2 foot longer than mine, and mine's about 15 foot :Wow:

Cheers

Mark

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Land rovers will go forever - but they might end up like Trigger's Broom: Only ever needed five new heads and six new handles.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Depends on the engine 200 or 300. the condition of the chassis and bulkhead are possibly more important than the engine. a engine change is a relatively simple job though not cheap. Having just changed a chassis and bulkhead for Rob i would recommend you take a good look at the chassis.

Most landy parts can be replaced and pattern parts aren't too pricey. as already said a 130 is big. do you need something that size. for me a 110 is about right.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Hi Rich,

Mine is a 200 and it's on 201,000 and I intend to use it for many more years yet. The thing to do is oil changes and filter changes. Waxoyl the chassis and generally keep up with the maintenance.

The worst problem with mine right now is that the doors are very rusty and need to be sorted. I should have waxoyled them many years ago.
If the 130 has been looked after, then 140,000 isn't too much providing they 're not asking too much. The cam belt needs to be changed every 60,000, but I do mine every 30 just to be sure. In the book they say 72,000 for a 200tdi. That's far too much for my liking. On the 300, there is a modification that needs to be done on the timing belt tensioner, I think. The belt slipped off and started cutting into the casing and break the belt.(I think). Something like that. So you'll have to make sure thta's been done.
Things like suspension bushes wear out fairly fast, but mainly due to the hard lives they have.
So, in my opinion, they do last for a long time if you look after them-like most things really. If you use decent oil and do regular changes, including axles, swivels and gearboxes, then the vehicle should remain loyal.
They make excellent camping vehicles and can carry a lot of weight. the door seals may not be any good nor the heater and it might leak and you'll have to have uprated speakers, but these things apparently are things we have to live with!!
I am a fan and will always recommend them to anyone.
I agree with whoever said it, that 130s are long and depending on your needs, a 110 may suit you better. You can still sleep in the back and there is loads of space if arranged properly.
Whatever you do in the end, make sure you give it a good inspection before buying it.
Cheers, Julian.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I have driven a few 130s in Scotland, and they are very long beasts indeed.

Rust is the biggest killer on a Landy, and as Wayne said - check the chassis and bulkhead as these are the things that will turn it into an organ donor for other Landy owners.

Electrics are the same as on your MG - so no secrets there. :lmao:

If you are getting keen on a Landy, then 200 or 300tdi is the way to go in my book. Regular oil and filter changes and plenty of grease (shhhh Wayne!). The engine should be good for 250 with some regular TLC.

Why not go and have a look at the Old Sodbury Sortout later this month (at the Newbury showground). You will see plenty for sale there in the car park.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Rob said:
The engine should be good for 250 with some regular TLC.
Yes, this is true, but they will go further than that. I was spoke to someone with a Range Rover with a 200 in it and it had done 300,000. Nothing major had been replaced.

I also think that the Tdi engine is the way to go.

Julian.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Rob said:
Why not go and have a look at the Old Sodbury Sortout later this month (at the Newbury showground). You will see plenty for sale there in the car park.
Might be a problem though Rich - it's on the 22nd :eek:
I'm planning on going though - if I can get a pass...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Landrover has got to be the way ahead. You can stick engine and gearbox from most everyday cars into one, they have such scope for conversion, and they are built to last.

Bulkhead will be a major problem with them, as already said. I still see Military Transport landrovers with really bad bulkheads. The chassis is also one to watch, I hear galvanised chassis are really good, or the waxoyl treatment.

I intend to buy an ex-military 110 FFR when I get back from Iraq to convert into a camping vehicle of sorts. I'll use it when I take the kids out so that I have somewhere to retreat to if they decide they don't like it, so it'll be a sort of 'Mobile Camp'! The FFR allows me to use 24v kit in the vehicle without touching the main battery for the start and lights, etc. I know this can be achieved with a split charge system, but I think kit is easily available in 24v due to the truck driving industry. Plus, I'll get a BV rigged up and live life in luxury!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sorry, forgot this one, if you are suffering from useless heaters, try adjusting the cable that goes from the dash control to the heater matrix. As it stretches, it makes it harder to get the heater to move to its maximum afterburn!! It's not too difficult a job, and you will be surprised at the difference it will make. It is also a good opportunity to check the condition of the heater matrix for damage and leaks.

I haven't done one for a while, but I don't think it took me more than 40 minutes from start to finish the first time I did it, and I didn't know what I was doing and learnt as I went along!!!!

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Rob said:
Electrics are the same as on your MG - so no secrets there. :lmao:

Electrics by Joseph Lucas AKA The Prince of Darkness. :D

I'm on my fourth Tdi at the moment. Highest mileage was a 200Tdi with just under 200,000 miles on the clock when I sold it. It still sounded sweet but was definitely down on power compared with lower mileage trucks. There was nothing drastically wrong with it, just the combined effect of a little wear in all of the components.

I'd be more worried about the gearbox than the engine. All Landy gearboxes whine a bit, but be wary of a clonk when taking up drive as this usually means wear on the shaft between the gearbox and the transfer box. This can deteriorate rapidly and lead to to frightening garage bill.

As for the 130's huge turning circle, you won't believe it until you have a test drive. :D

Jun 28, 2005
Preston
Wayne said:
Depends on the engine 200 or 300. the condition of the chassis and bulkhead are possibly more important than the engine. a engine change is a relatively simple job though not cheap. Having just changed a chassis and bulkhead for Rob i would recommend you take a good look at the chassis.

Most landy parts can be replaced and pattern parts aren't too pricey. as already said a 130 is big. do you need something that size. for me a 110 is about right.

Whilst I understand the caution with the above comment I'd disagree... I've just spent a couple of hours a night over a period of a few weeks replacing a mates Land Rover engine with one he'd picked up for £135 from eBay which had been left in a farm yard for over a year. Works well! Shame he got bored with it!

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
simonthwaites said:
Whilst I understand the caution with the above comment I'd disagree... I've just spent a couple of hours a night over a period of a few weeks replacing a mates Land Rover engine with one he'd picked up for £135!

Hope you weren't charging him by the hour. :D :D :D

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I have a '93 Range Rover as a second car. It has 201,000 on it and it is fine for what it is, a 12 year old motor with 200k on it! The handling is a wee bit sloppy, but as someone mentioned, nothing a set of bushes wouldnt sort, and the gearbox whines a bit, but no worse than my girlfriend :D

Ideally I would rather have a series III or a 90, but I swapped it for a wee speedboat with a broken engine, and it still has a good few years left in it yet! :)

203312.jpg

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
There is fella near to where I live, and he has one of the first 100 Landys ever made..and uses it!
He has a Landy Museum, with Range Rovers in one third of the floor space..about 50 Landys all up, I think?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE