Ladybird - early or late ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Adult ladybirds hibernate so this is an 'early bird' :D

I saw a wasp too on monday, not at all groggy on a pear tree, it was actively looking for something along the thin shoots & if I didn't know better I'd say it was on the hunt for aphids or caterpillars, which would mean larvae to feed which would mean Arrrhhhh, ....no impossible :eek:

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
5c28fddb-b6c9-1742.jpg

Saw this lot of ladybirds (what's the word for a group of ladybirds?) On Christmas Day. There were a few others there as well wandering about.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
ladybird on my wooden floor, cherry blossoms on the tree, and there is a tree full of birch like cat tails all over it outside the house, wird stuffs all around. and plenty of green wood peckers and parakeets. cheers the interceptor boy.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
The seasons have totally gone mad eh ? Just found green blackberries and blossom on one plant and a ripe black one on the next !!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
While repairing my fence after the high winds last week, I found about three or four ladybirds ambling around. It was a nice warm day, and pretty unseasonal for January, but I'm a bit worried about a cold snap now, because they probably won't make it. Later the same day, while picking up my son from school, I was amazed to see a bumble bee flying around.

Its too warm, too early - not good for anything that should still be hibernating.

Jackdaw

I have been involved in a couple of hibernation roost surveys for bats and have noticed the little critters are unusually fat for this time of year. They have obviously been taking advantage of the wamer temperatures to pop out and feed. Bats don't truly hibernate all winter in this country and can often be seen out during the winter months but this is believed to be normally due to their need to hydrate and to kick start their immune system.

I once saw a Brown Long-eared bat out at -3 in a snow storm. Dropped onto the road in front of my headlights then took off again after a couple of seconds. Prior to that I had thought (as I had been taught) that bats hibernate from November to March and are not seen during the winter months. Amazing what a couple of weeks of researching the appropriate scientific papers can tell you.

Oh, and I too saw some 7-spot ladybirds out last weekend. I shouldn't worry about them. The climate has been in variance for a lot longer than this species has been about and I suspect we'll see an abundance this year due to the rather warmer winter we've had. Caveat - unless a cold snap is on the way!

Jack

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE