Knoydart Solo Backpacking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just got back from solo backpacking trip to Knoydart over a couple of days. Car to Mallaig, ferry to Inverie. No pictures I'm afraid as I didn't take camera to cut weight - but I think that was a mistake as some of the views were tremendous. Weather was cloudy but fairly warm with one brief shower. Took MSR Microzoid, Thermarest, Tesco lightweight down bag with silk liner (which was more than adequate), mini gas stove and Titan Kettle. Belay jacket for night time but mainly t-shirts, long-sleeve base layers, Terras and Paramo Venture smock for when it got cooler during day. No problems finding water and took mainly dehydrated food (cheap noodles and the like). Walked out from Inverary past Dubh Lochain and up Ladhar Bheinn, dropped down to coast and then to Inverguseran, then back along glen to Inverie and ferry back.

Overnight camp was tricky to find good site as wind was down and midges appear to be farmed on Knoydart ready for transport to rest of Scotland. Made schoolboy error: remembered midge headnet but forgot Deet/Smidge. Page 1 para 1 stuff...

Anyway, great trip and I'll go back more suitably prepared next time.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Nice one, I'm keen to get up there myself. I'm in Mallaig regularly with work and have often thought of exploring. Just out of interest what weight were you carrying? and what mileage where you doing per day?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Thinking about it, not including what I wore (Terras, boots, gaiters, t-shirt or long-sleeved base-layer, Paramo Venture Light Smock):
Microzoid Tent & footprint - about 1.5kg?
Sleeping bag (Tesco Ultra-lite down bag & silk liner) - 1kg
Thermarest - 700g?
Rucksack - 1kg
1L water - 1kg
Food (dehydrated noodles, chocolate, malt-loaf, sweets) - 1.5-2kg
Clothing (waterproof trousers, hat, gloves, belay jacket, midge head cover & Tilley hat, Skins leggings, spare socks, spare under-crackers & socks) - 1.5kg
Kovea Titan stove (with Primus windshield (brilliant!) and gas canister), titanium spork thing & MSR Titan kettle - 700g
Misc - Harvey's map, compass, GPS, SPOT transceiver, first aid kit, repair kit, car keys, mobile phone, Leatherman Skeletool, lighter - 1kg

So possibly closer to 10kg-ish if I've remembered everything!

Used Berghaus Yeti gaiters - lower legs got a bit sweaty at times but they were absolutely invaluable for river/stream crossings, walking through wet grass/heather and boggy ground - like wearing wellies.

The midge-proof head cover was essential and, despite me forgetting my Smidge/Deet, kept me sane when I stopped in the evenings. There wasn't too much breeze and the midges were out even higher up. They work well over wider brimmed hats like Tilleys as they keep the netting off the face - this can be irritating and also allows midges to bite through the netting if it's against your skin. Little b*stards.

All kit I wanted to keep dry was in lightweight dry bags.

The Primus windshield is great - it clips around the lip on top of the gas canister and the Kovea (or something similar like MSR Pocket Rocket) sits nicely inside. I prefer the Kovea to something like the Pocket Rocket as it has a built in piezo-igniter and small plastic stow box to protect it. Packs up very small.

I've mentioned the Tesco sleeping bag before - it's not brilliant but as long as you don't expect too much of it, it works well with a silk liner and Thermarest.

I wish I'd have taken my camera (Canon G15) but thought I should save weight - wouldn't have made much difference really.

As I said, I think the addition of a decent midge repellent (like the Smidge or Deet I left in the car. Jesus...) would have improved things significantly. Midges may not be a problem for others but they love me with a passion and I suffer when they're about. I usually use Deet but was going to try Smidge as I'd heard good things about it and it doesn't seem to be as eye-wateringly powerful! Next time...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE