knives with bearing blocks? what next?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Fixed (in some way I can't think of) to your belt/sheath is the only alternative I can come up with.

get yourself a 2 pence piece, put it on something soft but firm (ohh err missus) like a rubber mat (or similar), put a hole punch (or similar) in the center of it, hit the hole punch nice and hard with a lump hammer (or similar). you should now have a nice concave lump of metal (convex if you want to turn it over just to be pedantic), drill a couple of holes around the edge of it and sew it to your leather belt. et voila, one simple, home-made, permanently on-your-person bearing block

stuart

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Just edited my earlier post to say limpet shells rather than barnacle shells - think you would have to be using matchsticks as a fire drill if you were using barnacle shells!!:)

I use a limpet shell set into a wooden block with clay. It is then also stuffed with green leaves when I use it and it makes the drilling so easy I didn't think it was turning when I first used it!

As a modern "cheat" you could use a teaspoon held against your palm and a leather insulating pad.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Never used a knife with a big hole in the side so can't comment myself but wouldn't it increase the likelyhood of blisters for a left hander using it for a prolonged period like in a survival situation?

I suppose you could fill the hole with a bit of a spark making rod you could lever out if you were ever in a real situation you needed to start a fire and had lost all the other firelighting kit you punch out with.

Otherwise a solid looking knife. Not sure from the add if they are on issue or just another knife designed by a instructor?

ATB

Tom

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
one of the nicest bearing blocks i ever used was a pair of limpet shells, one inside the other to minimise heat transfer. they really do work a treat.

my normal block is simply a pebble i found on a beach with a perfectly formed divot in the back of it.

the simplest metal insert for slick bearing blocks is a cap from a beer bottle. no need to go vandalising her majesty's legal tender!

the esee 5 works fine for left handed people like me. if anything, it works better left handed. it's not a massive hole, in normal use it's imperceptible.

the sheath has a widget that enables you to take it off the belt if you want. i don't bother, in practice, as i said, it's no where near as dangerous or scary as people's imagination. a couple of years ago i was helping out with a bushcraft demo at a country fair. i must have done several tens of bowdrill demos using the esee5 as a bearing block. i don't recall anyone commenting about it being dangerous or looking scary.

i know when this sort of concept first came out years and years ago, loads of folks started going mental about the idea that the micarta would spontaineously combust or de-laminate or something. no, that doesn't happen either.

cheers, and.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I use a limpet shell set into a wooden block with clay. It is then also stuffed with green leaves when I use it and it makes the drilling so easy I didn't think it was turning when I first used it!

As a modern "cheat" you could use a teaspoon held against your palm and a leather insulating pad.

If I see a cheapo hemispherical spoon or similar methinks I'll get one ready fo the next time I have a play - thanks for the suggestion

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
If I see a cheapo hemispherical spoon or similar methinks I'll get one ready fo the next time I have a play - thanks for the suggestion

egg cup.

stainless steel spirit measure.

bushcraft is about looking beyond the obvious, and seeing the possibilities......

cheers, and.

use it or not

a wood bearing block that works is IMO the easiest bit of a bow drill set to make

tho in a combat survival situation you do have your knife ready for a rising slash / Strike combo:viking: if interrupted while Pumping away in the Bad bush then you can beat em with the bow in the other hand :twak:

its one of the features i didn't transfer to my Tactical bushy from the RAT 5

But you can get an App for it now

http://itunes.apple.com/mt/app/fire-it-up-free-bow-drill/id478252968?mt=8

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE