Knife repair help please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,this is my first post so be nice! I have been given a H. Roselli knife by my brother. Its seems like a good tool but the blade has a chip in it. can anybody reccomend anybody to repair this and give me some sharpening advice please? In Wales preferably! Thanks and hope you can help, Tim.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... a good tool but the blade has a chip in it. can anybody reccomend anybody to repair this and give me some sharpening advice please?

HI Tim, and welcome to the forum.

Which knife is it?

http://www.roselli.fi/1/index-eng.html

My advice is be patient and cautious. You don't want to find that you've done more damage trying to repair it than you had to begin with, especially if the damage is little more than cosmetic. Some blades even have a notch deliberately ground into them for particular jobs like wire stripping, so maybe you could make a feature of it! There are some very skilled people reading, and they will have good advice to offer, but it will help everybody if you can show photographs of the knife and the damaged area. Whatever you do don't try anything like welding on a knife blade or you'd probably destroy it, and careless grinding with a power tool can overheat the metal with serious consequences too. Generally, do the minimum that you can to keep the tool in working order.

I have a few tools that I use for odd jobs and gardening that have had some pretty horrendous chunks taken out of them over the years, and my dog ate most of the handle off my favourite macheti. He was my favourite dog, and he's long dead, so I still haven't repaired the handle -- just wrapped it in tape for the memory of him. By and large the tools all still function perfectly fine. I know that nobody will bother stealing them, or if they do they'd better not let me see them because I'll recognize them instantly. :)

As for sharpening, again be cautious. There are some threads in the forum that you can read to start you off, come back with specific questions once you've done that. It isn't rocket science but there's more to it than meets the eye and it can take practice and patience. Some of the modern steels designed for high wear resistance can be tough to sharpen, but I don't think you'll have any problems with high-carbon steel which is what your knife is probably made of. As you now know it can be brittle, but if you treat it right that isn't an issue and it should last you the rest of your life. The main problem is that soon you'll probably want a load more different ones... :)

Cant seem to upload the picture. I could email them if thats any use? It was barely noticeable in the picture. Its a roselli Carpenter Knife, the nick is about halfway between the tip and the beginning of the handle and also the tip is nicked also! If and when I get the knife repaired I will look into another knife. I really like the look and feel of the Helle Fjellkniven knives. Are they better than the Roselli? Thanks, Tim.

Unless its a major problem, just live with it, it will come out naturally as you use and sharpen the knife. Remember when you sharpen a knife you are removing metal, so do you really need to remove all that metal just to remove the chip? You can't remove a chip, you have to remove the metal around it, taking the rest of the knife down to meet the chips lowest point.

You will prematurely age the knife.
If its a bad chip then you may have to, but I tend to leave small ones to come out as I sharpen the knife over the next few months or year.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Cant seem to upload the picture. I could email them if thats any use? It was barely noticeable in the picture. Its a roselli Carpenter Knife, the nick is about halfway between the tip and the beginning of the handle and also the tip is nicked also! If and when I get the knife repaired I will look into another knife. I really like the look and feel of the Helle Fjellkniven knives. Are they better than the Roselli?

You probably can't upload the picture because you haven't been a member for long enough. Put the photo on one of the free sites and put a link to it in a post.

There's a review of your knife here:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?48357-Roselli-Carpenter-Review

If it's very small I guess the nick at the tip can probably be removed completely with minimal loss of blade, you might just live with the one in the middle of the blade or try to sharpen it out. My feeling would be to live with it, as it will probably disappear after some years of use. And you might get some more. :(

Don't worry about which knife is better. Get used to using the tools you have, very often it's all you need. Try not to get into the buying toys thing, it's expensive, often counterproductive and very addictive.

Fortunately giving up is easy. I've done it dozens of times.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Unless its a major problem, just live with it, it will come out naturally as you use and sharpen the knife. Remember when you sharpen a knife you are removing metal, so do you really need to remove all that metal just to remove the chip? You can't remove a chip, you have to remove the metal around it, taking the rest of the knife down to meet the chips lowest point.

You will prematurely age the knife.
If its a bad chip then you may have to, but I tend to leave small ones to come out as I sharpen the knife over the next few months or year.

I agree with this but If you really want it done and a lesson in sharpening I can help and good news is I live in Llanelli. Rob

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE