Knife nostalgia enquiry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Way back around 1970 / 71 , I would have been 13 or 14 years old I bought what I thought was the real deal back then , a small (around 7" total length) what we used to call a sheath knife . It was a Sheffield made knife in a leather sheath with a brass guard and steel pommel , It had black , red and steel spacers at the guard end of the handel and at the pommel . I am not 100% sure but apart from having Sheffield steel stamped into the side of the blade (not sure if it was S/S or Carbon steel ) , I seem to remember the name Rogers stamped in also ? Could any member here remember having a similar knife as a kid and also any pics would be great . Forgot to state , it had a stag handle .
Thanks

Last edited:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
My kids..well they're both in their 50's...:laugh:.. Bought me this as a present about 18 months ago, as a reminder of times past.

I never was in the Scouting Organisation but I still carried a knife like this in the 1950's as a youngster when in the woods etc:

Reactions: plastic-ninja

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
My kids..well they're both in their 50's...:laugh:.. Bought me this as a present about 18 months ago, as a reminder of times past.

I never was in the Scouting Organisation but I still carried a knife like this in the 1950's as a youngster when in the woods etc:
Yeh Saxonaxe , that is very similar except the handle was showing more bark off the stag horn and the sheath was a light tan in colour . Like you and many other young boys , back in the 60s and early 70s I carried some sort of knife for throwing in tree trunks or just whittling away at a piece of wood , there was never any thought about using a knife offensively . That passion never really left me as I ended up as a combat survival instructor with the Army and these days just have a collection of reasonable quality gentlemens pocket knives , khukuris and a few bushcraft style knives which I will no doubt pass on to my Grandson one day .

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.

Blimey! That brings back memories! My mother bought one very like that from the Scout Shop way back in the 1970s. It remained my pride and joy until my father brought back a Marttiini puuko from one of his business trips to Finland. I never quite managed to get an edge on it - not a great surprise as I was only eleven. It did mean that I was staggered by the arrival of the puuko, which was incredibly sharp.

Quite what happened to that old original, I don't know. I think it might have fallen victim to one of my mother's 'cupboard clearance' exercises!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You can buy one here

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine's still up the loft :D
It has the stacked leather handle though. I didn't fancy the antler one.
My Dad bought it for me at the Scout Shop in Glasgow. I was a very junior 14 year old cub scout leader.

My husband still has his one too, and his is the older version with the aluminium type pommel. Again, bought in the Scout Shop in Glasgow. His would have been in the 1950's.

They're still sound, still don't keep an edge worth a damn, but other wise still good.

I think we need a knife clear out though, it's gotten a tad ridiculous.

M

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I had one like that too. It was a William Rodgers "Bushman's Friend" with a 5 inch blade. They were often referred to as Scout knives and I used to wear mine to school with my Scout uniform. But as a fourteen year old we often used to bring our knives to compare them. A "friend" offered to take mine home and sharpen it: I never saw it again. Back in the 1960s my wife bought me a replacement, which travelled with us for years. It now lives permanently in my grandfather 's chest and will be left for my grandchildren.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Whilst the ones with a fake antler made of plastic were fairly common, my first knife was a mora frost, it was stolen when I was in the army, but I bought my son a new one when he joined scouts, by which time I was using my Dads old ones, my wife had his Mora Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 18, 2022
Bristol
Heres mine from 1980-81 when I was 7 years old
file.php

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Had a very similar one myself, bought in the souvenir shop at a forest park in the early 80s. No idea where it ended up.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
I still have the one my dad bought me on holiday in Wales. Sheffield made with an Indian brave's head etched on the blade. All stacked leather handle. I was six at the time and that knife got a serious hammering. Even lost in the shed for some years and found covered in mildew. I cleaned and sharpened it when I found it...at the point I had learnt to care for a knife!!!
47 years later and I will never part with it.

K

ps Bushman's Friends are superb knives Oldtimer. I have a few. There is a really rare version with Sea Scout etched on the blade. I would love to own one as a Rover Sea Scout myself but have only ever seen one example.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a similar one - but the antler handle split at some pont in time and it became my very first re-handling project...

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Following on from my original post , can any of the members tell me where I can buy one of the old Sheffield style stag handle sheath knives , preferably 3" or 4" inch blade ??
Thanks

Aug 18, 2022
Bristol
Here we go mate, I bought the new sheath for my Kangaroo Set from these guys last year
They make and sell the real deal so you can have exactly what you want (link below)
Cheers
JT

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Here we go mate, I bought the new sheath for my Kangaroo Set from these guys last year
They make and sell the real deal so you can have exactly what you want (link below)
Cheers
JT

It would be really good to see these classics in a better steel than 1070, at least as an option. I don’t mean super steel alloys with Vanadium and Cobalt, but 1070 is kind of Stanley knife blade disposable, even 1095 or 01 would be better.

Aug 18, 2022
Bristol
It would be really good to see these classics in a better steel than 1070, at least as an option. I don’t mean super steel alloys with Vanadium and Cobalt, but 1070 is kind of Stanley knife blade disposable, even 1095 or 01 would be better.
This company used C70

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
This company used C70

Hi Jon, yes I get that it’s still being made in the original steel for reasons of tradition. I just think it would have more appeal to people with a nostalgic lean to have it made in a steel that performed better. C70 is the same as 1070, as C75 and C95 are 1075 and 1095 steels respectively.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE