Knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Hi, could anyone reccomend a retailer for knife making supplies. Specifically bladesteel banks in o1 tool steel. Also could anyone reccomend a better steel than o1 for a raw beginer.

Thanks, Mart :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
are you after the bars of steel or a semi finished blade that you can fit your own handle to?

I sell both as well as the guys above, but obviously my blades are a different style ;)

A lot of folk get their O1 from Cromwells, since they carry a huge range of sizes. Unfortunately in this country it is nearly impossible to buy small amounts of any steel other than O1 and silversteel, unless you can persuade a maker to sell you a little. In which case there are other simple steels that are easier to forge and heat treat, but O1 is a doddle to grind and comes in a packet with HT info (crude, but there).

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'd be happy to recommend Dave's blades ; truly exceptional. Perhaps a good way to start would be to get a blade and handle it rather than make one from scratch.
whereabouts are you in Cumbria? I'd be pleased to buy you a beer and pass on my air of general confusion. I have a nice DB blade in the process of handling at the moment too.
Nice quote btw . THIS IS FUN? I AM HAVING FUN?

Cheers , Simon

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Hi and thanks to all who replied. I have a nice woodlore clone from the woodshed, so not interested in a knife kit per se. I'm interested in flat bar in o1. (or other steel as per reccomendations) to start with I'll make a mora clone and also a woodlore clone. I'd like to progress into making Bowie style blades. I have been practicing with mild steel bar making blades using stock removal. Mainly to get my head around setting out a blades geometry. I would like to use the same method with tool steel. I see this as a learning process as tool steel will obviously be harder to work than mild steel. Also using a belt grinder/files for stock removal from flat bar would i then need to heat treat say; o1 in order for it to retain its edge.
I live in Carlisle, where are you Plastic Ninja?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Feb 13, 2014
United Kingdom
I'd be happy to recommend Dave's blades ; truly exceptional. Perhaps a good way to start would be to get a blade and handle it rather than make one from scratch.
whereabouts are you in Cumbria? I'd be pleased to buy you a beer and pass on my air of general confusion. I have a nice DB blade in the process of handling at the moment too.
Nice quote btw . THIS IS FUN? I AM HAVING FUN?

Cheers , Simon

hi hope you don't mind me dropping you a email just noticed the area Cumbria in your message i live in barrow in furness and was just wondering if you know of anywhere around this area that do knife making courses i have wanted to learn for quite some time so any help or advise you could give i would much appreciate it thank you Rich

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
hi hope you don't mind me dropping you a email just noticed the area Cumbria in your message i live in barrow in furness and was just wondering if you know of anywhere around this area that do knife making courses i have wanted to learn for quite some time so any help or advise you could give i would much appreciate it thank you Rich

I kow its a long way but I went to Dave in Devon and it really was worth it.
Look HERE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE